X

Valve clearance on an 01 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve clearance on an 01 750

I'm thinking about trying to adjust my valves myself. I'm sure they need to be done. The bike has 65k miles on it and they have never been done. I'm assuming they will be just like my wife's beetle. Rotate the engine till the valve lifts up and then check the gap. Do you spin the motor over using the sprocket nut? And what's the gap supposed to be. Thanks guys.

a good explanation of everything from start to finish is in the service manual http://norwestsuspension.com/files/9...e%20Manual.pdf probably a lot like your wifes beetle. Just dont use the unbraco to turn use the big bolt ( on the timing cover side , not the sprocket side )
    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Mammut's right on the dot, Service manual is a good resource.

I've made a write-up in the HOW TO section with plenty of pictures that can help guide you through the process. It's for my pre-98 but the process is the same.

To spin the motor you'll have to crack open the Strator Cover and use a (19?)mm (It's in my write-up) to spin the engine. Always rotate clockwise, have those sparks removed. Once you've think you got it rotate the engine and take all the measurements twice or three times -- you won't regret it. Expect to do an oil change as well once you're all wrapped up.
      - Purplehaze
      All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Thanks guys. I've gotta change the valve coved gaskets and figured I might as well do this too while I'm in there. Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Working...
        X