Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Think I'm gonna build a Kat Streetfighter....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think I'm gonna build a Kat Streetfighter....

I stumbled on this bike in a mag over the weekend, and have decided (more or less) to attempt it myself. Here's a link, then on to the questions:

Now, what I'm thinking is building something like this from a pre-98 Katana 600 frame, possibly a 750 (or bigger) Kat motor. I guess the beginning of the list of questions starts here.

1. What is the biggest back wheel that will fit in a stock Kat swingarm?

2. Are the old GSXR front ends "plug-and-play", or do they need modification to work? And would the GSXR front be better than stock Kat in the front?

3. Considering cutting frame right behind riders seat. Will this pose any problems structually that will need to be addresses?

4. Any suggestions where to get those super bright small headlights to fabricate a custom headlight device?

5. On the swingarm note, anybody ever tried a single-sided swingarm on a Kat?

6. If a Kat swingarm won't accept a massive back wheel/tire, are there other suggestions of what could be used and made to fit, short of splicing together the front part of Kat swingarm and back end of something else? (I've got a great guy for welding, and will if I have to, but....)

7. Are there any back tire huggers that would be easy to use with a stock swingarm, Kat or otherwise?

Just the beginning of the questions I'll have, I'm sure....once this gets underway, I'll come up with a website (or page on mine at tsunamijeep.com) to keep up with progress.

A big THANKS in advance to anybody who can offer help or suggestions. I want this to be something our Kat community can be proud of.

There have been many posts about swing arms and front ends...Do a search, you should find them...
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy"

"True wisdom, only comes from pain"

Comment

Here is a picture of a pre 98 kat 750 that is rough but has the idea that I think you are looking for. The person that owned this bike frequented the now defunct Katana Planet and went by the name Demon Seed. I thought the style was totaly cool in a Triumph speed triple sort of way.
      Attached Files

Comment

Think I'm gonna build a Kat Streetfighter....
        Prepare for the "unimaginative" to take shots at you..
        "when are you going to fix it" etc..
        (And I mean here on KR as well as in the "real world")

But I wish you would do it!
        We could use the company..
        (those of us who think outside all the boxes)

That CBR is sick!

Comment

Just get an old bsa....

:lol

Comment

Originally posted by damic
            Here is a picture of a pre 98 kat 750 that is rough but has the idea that I think you are looking for. The person that owned this bike frequented the now defunct Katana Planet and went by the name Demon Seed. I thought the style was totaly cool in a Triumph speed triple sort of way.
            He lives in the bay area and no longer has the kat. Ironically, he had bought an 05 speed triple (or are they a four now?) Search the site for posts about my bike, putting larger engines in kats, project widowmaker, and front end mods. You'll turn up alot of useful information. I turned mine into a naked fighter at one point and brought it back to faired life.

Comment

Oh...and it was badseed not demon seed. He also frequents oldskoolsuzuki.info under the name sprinklerhead

Comment

Originally posted by brett
                Just get an old bsa....

:lol
                See what I mean?

Comment

need some help.I have 2003 kat and I just bought a 1992 gsxr frame because I was told by 3 different people. mind you they are all Techs. that the parts from the 03 would bolt up to the gsxr frame with no problems. So far I have encountered that the swing arm bolts are different and might need to spacers to the lower link to teh frame. I have stoped there... little fustrated thanks in advance for anything that would help

Comment

Wow.. a 4 year old thread.. That must have taken work to find.

I think you can use the mater cylinders.. The engine should bolt right in.
                    You can use your throttle. after that!?!?!?

Comment

Working...
                    X