X

Dynatek ign mod

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynatek ign mod

I'm about to install new Dynatek ignition coils. Hoping for smoother idle, better throttle response. Wondering if anyone else has done this or similar, what results you have noticed.

Originally posted by rebornimp View Post
    Hoping for smoother idle, better throttle response.
    Have you considered cleaning your carbs? all things considered, you might want to look into it if they have never been touched, could be as easy as that.

..and sync the carbs
    Last edited by GSXFJim; 03-01-2014, 10:52 PM.
    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

I'm about to install new Dynatek ignition coils. Hoping for smoother idle, better throttle response. Wondering if anyone else has done this or similar, what results you have noticed.

I've only seen a difference in replacement coils improving things because the old were not working properly. If the OEM coils are working fine, you won't see a diff.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I have considered cleaning the carbs. But with only six thousand miles I didn't really think they should be too bad. Its not running badly, just seems too rich. Mileage isn't what it should be. I wondering if the previous owner didn't jet them when they installed the Yoshi pipe. Thought maybe a hotter spark would better burn the rich mixture. Besides, carbs are my weak spot. I don't like messing with them if I don't have to.

Comment

# of miles on the bike has 0 to do with whether or not your carbs are clean.

If the bike isn't run often, the gas in the carbs evaporates out and leave behind a varnish that blocks up ports, holes, and jets. Your carbs could have been cleaned say 6 months ago. If the bike sat since then, they could very well be buggered again. Doesn't even take that long. If the carb drain bowls are emptied before storage, it helps a lot but even that isn't perfect. The thing that is usually affected (effected? Zuma, feel free to enlighten me on that one) 1st is the pilot circuit - the part if the carbs that most strongly influences idle-low rpm (0-3k). It consists of a lot of tiny passages, which is why it clogs up easily. So if its not running smoothly, that could have something to do with it. Also, float heights could be set wrong, making it run rich. Your A/F ratio could be off making it rich. Maybe your float valves don't seat 100%, making it run rich. Point being, there are many carb related things that would make it run rich that you would uncover in the process if tearing them down to clean them.

Usually aftermarket exhausts make the already lean running Kats run even leaner. If you think it's running rich, maybe the PO put in a jet kit and didnt tune it properly. It shouldn't be running rich just from popping an exhaust on, so you might have something else going on.

Dynatech stuff isnt cheap - might want to look into what else could be causing it to be running rich before spending money on something that might not address the actual issue. What exactly is making you think yor mixture is rich anyways? Smelling unburnt fuel? Spark plugs wet when you pull them? Or very black/sooty? Exhaust tip sooty?
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I have considered cleaning the carbs. But with only six thousand miles I didn't really think they should be too bad. Its not running badly, just seems too rich. Mileage isn't what it should be. I wondering if the previous owner didn't jet them when they installed the Yoshi pipe. Thought maybe a hotter spark would better burn the rich mixture. Besides, carbs are my weak spot. I don't like messing with them if I don't have to.
            carburetors carbs Suzuki GSX600F Katana 600 98-06 - OEM

carburetors carbs Suzuki GSX600F Katana 600 98-06 - Dynojet

carburetors carbs Suzuki GSX600F Katana 600 98-06 - Factory Pro

Is the Yoshimura exhaust just a slip-on? If so you don't have to change the jetting at all. You do need to adjust the mixture screws though. A pipe with incorrect fuel mixture adjustment will be the exact opposite of rich.
            Last edited by arsenic; 03-02-2014, 03:30 PM.

Comment

I dontthink its the pipe, i thought maybe the last owner jetted when they put the pipe on. Im just guessing. The main reason i think its running rich is that the mileage isnt what i think it should be. The exhaust tip is sooty, and once in a while it pops at startup. Its running mooth, i just dont think the throttle response is what it should be either. I dont wanna tear the carbs down unless i need to.

Comment

A pop isn't caused by a rich condition, it's caused by running lean. You know what could cause poor throttle response and poor gas mileage? Dirty carbs.

Comment

I don't think its the pipe, i thought maybe the last owner jetted when they put the pipe on. I'm just guessing.
                  There is only one way to verify if the PO did or did not work on the carbs Tear them down.

The main reason i think its running rich is that the mileage isn't what i think it should be. The exhaust tip is sooty, and once in a while it pops at startup.
                  If the PO did do anything to the carbs, chances are it's not right. You will need to tear them down an see what was done (wrong).

Its running (s)mooth,
                  This contradicts your first post.

i just don't think the throttle response is what it should be either. I don't wanna tear the carbs down unless i need to.
                  Like everyone has said, carburation is the most likely suspect. Throwing expensive coils on it will most likely not help the situation, it's a waste of money and will add frustration when the problem persists.

As much as you don't want to hear it and do it, you're going to have do a complete tear down, inspection and cleaning of your carbs.

and BTW... if you don't want to mess with doing carbs, arsenic is your man, pm him he will take care of you.
                  Last edited by GSXFJim; 03-02-2014, 07:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                  http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                  '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                  "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                  "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

I hate carbs. My next bike will be injected. Boo. Hoo.

Thanks for the advice , guys. I'll do it sometime. Its just hard to take it apart with what little time I have to spare to ride as it is. And here in south Florida there's no time of year that's not good for riding, So I hate to be working on it when I could be riding instead.
                    Last edited by rebornimp; 03-02-2014, 08:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

You think carbs are bad to work on, try working on a FI system. Study carbs101 or carbs102, depending on your year bike. (pre 98 or 98 on) there is even a video how to here. Buy your carb dip and just do it. if you need help just ask or as I did buy a set from arsenic. Call it done. Coils are not your problem 100%. You'll need to get a sync tool or borrow, make one.
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran
                      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                      X