X

so confused

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so confused

dude wtf their was oil in my air filter housing? and there is a cut line from bottom piece of housing will post pictures if yall ask

In my experience this happened to me when I had a few doses of bad fuel from central Australia. It came back through the breather hose and filled my airbox. Apart from that, it could gum up your carbs and dribble into your airbox, but if that happens it's more likely to flood your cylinders then seep past your piston rings into your oil pan.

Comment

there should be a rubber hose with a stopper plug hanging out around your kickstand
      pull out the plug and let the crud drain out of it
      I usually get a little moisture out of it on my B12
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

A trace of oil in your airbox is perfectly normal. That "hose" you speak of is a vent hose. Make sure it's plugged at the end or you'll have a vac leak.
        PS.....download a shop manual and read it.
        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
        ------------------------------------------
        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
          A trace of oil in your airbox is perfectly normal. That "hose" you speak of is a vent hose. Make sure it's plugged at the end or you'll have a vac leak.
          PS.....download a shop manual and read it.

thanx slofuz but the hose is split at the end cut and bad ill buy a plug for it

Comment

Originally posted by MegamanKatX View Post
            thanx slofuz but the hose is split at the end cut and bad ill buy a plug for it
            That's concerning. If your drain hose isn't plugged how do you have oil in your airbox?

Comment

Originally posted by wing View Post
              That's concerning. If your drain hose isn't plugged how do you have oil in your airbox?
              True - shouldn't be much left in the air box. But a K&N filter or over-filled crank case (due to too much oil or leaking carbs) could result in more oil in the airbox than is considered normal.

Comment

Over heating can lead to oil in the airbox if i remember correctly. So will dropping it.
                My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
                  True - shouldn't be much left in the air box. But a K&N filter or over-filled crank case (due to too much oil or leaking carbs) could result in more oil in the airbox than is considered normal.

dude im working on it now, air box is off carbs are off when sitting on bike far left of the carbs is leaking gas, floats move nicely so im guessing its the seal gasket that should be replaced besides the fact that all my screws are nasty and corroded

Comment

Negative -- If by leaking you mean through the barrel of the carbs and into the intake system ensure those float needles are in good condition and the O-Rings that seal your float bodies seal well and are in good condition. Then next check and double check and triple check those float heights and make sure they are in spec.

If they're leaking externally, take a look at the float bowl gasket, dip those screws in some carb cleaner and consider cleaning your carbs in general. Most members here opt to replace the very-strippable stock screws with Allen-Head bolts. A few members here could hook you up with replacements, or your local hardware store.

Then keep a watch on your oil level and the way it smells for about two weeks after reassembly.
                    Perhaps it's just me, but I bench tested my float heights about 7 times before I got them all correct.
                    - Purplehaze
                    All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

It sounds to me like you are mixing up a couple of problems into one. As for the oil, exactly HOW MUCH oil is in your airbox? Is it just an oily residue? If so, thats ok. As for the carbs. You're probably gunna want to disassemble them, replace all the rubber, clean them per carbs 101, and asses any other issues with them while they are apart.
                      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by Purplehaze View Post
                        Negative -- If by leaking you mean through the barrel of the carbs and into the intake system ensure those float needles are in good condition and the O-Rings that seal your float bodies seal well and are in good condition. Then next check and double check and triple check those float heights and make sure they are in spec.

If they're leaking externally, take a look at the float bowl gasket, dip those screws in some carb cleaner and consider cleaning your carbs in general. Most members here opt to replace the very-strippable stock screws with Allen-Head bolts. A few members here could hook you up with replacements, or your local hardware store.

Then keep a watch on your oil level and the way it smells for about two weeks after reassembly.
                        Perhaps it's just me, but I bench tested my float heights about 7 times before I got them all correct.

will do purplehaze will do thanx

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
                        It sounds to me like you are mixing up a couple of problems into one. As for the oil, exactly HOW MUCH oil is in your airbox? Is it just an oily residue? If so, thats ok. As for the carbs. You're probably gunna want to disassemble them, replace all the rubber, clean them per carbs 101, and asses any other issues with them while they are apart.

no lie a cups worth I have a red Dixie cup full of oil that was in air filter housing maybe a lil more than a cup because some spilled
                        Last edited by MegamanKatX; 02-25-2014, 11:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

whoa dude.... the only way your gunna get oil like that is through the breather that comes off the top of the motor n connects to the airbox. is this a pre or a post 98 model? did you just get it or have you previously owned/ridden it? check that breather tube (from motor to airbox ) and see if it is drippin wet inside
                          Last edited by maniac1886; 02-25-2014, 12:01 PM.
                          2007 GSXR 750

Comment

So how much does the sight glass read on the oil level (standing the bike up straight, as if mounted)
                            - Purplehaze
                            All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Originally posted by Purplehaze View Post
                              So how much does the sight glass read on the oil level (standing the bike up straight, as if mounted)
                              its full purple haze going to buy a new hose and cap for that end of the air filter housing

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
                              whoa dude.... the only way your gunna get oil like that is through the breather that comes off the top of the motor n connects to the airbox. is this a pre or a post 98 model? did you just get it or have you previously owned/ridden it? check that breather tube (from motor to airbox ) and see if it is drippin wet inside

dude had the bike 2 months not rode it for about 3 weeks til I realized the gas dripping from carbs then starting taking it apart yesterday.
                              Last edited by MegamanKatX; 02-25-2014, 12:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                              X