X

The smell of Gas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The smell of Gas

Been a while since I have visited the forums. Anyway when I park my bike in my garage, or the garage at work it really smells like gas. I see no visible leaks, and it doesn't affect my fuel gauge, but it is very strong.

Any Thoughts?
    99 Katana 600

You're running on the rich side would be my shot in the dark.

Comment

I am... stupid K&N air filter

I thought I was always running lean from this filter, and I get a lot of after popping.
      Last edited by JSMencer; 02-07-2014, 09:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      99 Katana 600

Comment

Well, before you try to diagnose what's wrong, why don't you fix what you KNOW is wrong. Just a thought.

Comment

the carbs are vented to the atmosphere. if it's enclosed then it smells like gas.
          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

K&N will make you run lean, not rich. (which as arsenic pointed out...whole nother issue...just fix it...please...they're only ~$20)

And as Kat Toy said...enclosed area. If you park in the great outdoors, do you notice anything? I'm willing to wager "no."

Replace the filter, sync you carbs (not necessary after a filter change, but really...when was the last time you did it?), do an idle drop, and sync again. Your bike should be pretty happy at that point.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

When you run a K&N your engine runs lean.

When your engine runs Lean it gets hotter than normal.

When you have a Hotter than normal engine heats up the carbs more.

Heated carbs means more fuel evaporation/boiling the fuel.

More fuel evaporation = more fuel smell when parked in an enclosed environment.

..... I'm starting to feel like a commercial.

Anyways... yeah, ditch the K&N. Make sure your over flow tube are on the carb vents. Make sure over all the engine is not running hot.

Krey
              Last edited by Kreylyn; 02-08-2014, 08:31 AM.
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Speaking of running hot, has there ever been another oil temp solution since the one CP was working on?

Oh.. And +1.. But I didn't think kreys posts need +1's anymore. Just assume it's already there
                Last edited by Cheriff; 02-08-2014, 08:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  When you run a K&N your engine runs lean.

When your engine runs Lean it gets hotter than normal.

When you have a Hotter than normal engine heats up the carbs more.

Heated carbs means more fuel evaporation/boiling the fuel.

More fuel evaporation = more fuel smell when parked in an enclosed environment.

..... I'm starting to feel like a commercial.

Anyways... yeah, ditch the K&N. Make sure your over flow tube are on the carb vents. Make sure over all the engine is not running hot.

Krey
                  When you pay too much for cable lol

Comment

I was afraid yesterday
                    After ride aprox 150 Km from Sao Paulo we have drove for aprox 5 km in the city and stoped at midday to have a lunch bikes was in the sun.
                    We're in summer season in Brasil and yesterday temperature was aprox 96ºF
                    Turned off the bike and went to restaurante after 10 minuts I went back to smoke a cigarrette and listen a noise of pression went in the bike felt the smell of gasoline and the noise of pression opened the tank and gasoline was boiling I ride original airfilter, carbs made by Arsenic and bikes function its like a clock
                    I rode back to my house without any problem in the afternoon and when I have stoped in my garage no boiling but smell of gasoline
                    This is normal to happen??

Comment

Originally posted by KATANA-BRASIL View Post
                      I was afraid yesterday
                      After ride aprox 150 Km from Sao Paulo we have drove for aprox 5 km in the city and stoped at midday to have a lunch bikes was in the sun.
                      We're in summer season in Brasil and yesterday temperature was aprox 96ºF
                      Turned off the bike and went to restaurante after 10 minuts I went back to smoke a cigarrette and listen a noise of pression went in the bike felt the smell of gasoline and the noise of pression opened the tank and gasoline was boiling I ride original airfilter, carbs made by Arsenic and bikes function its like a clock
                      I rode back to my house without any problem in the afternoon and when I have stoped in my garage no boiling but smell of gasoline
                      This is normal to happen??

Huge variable depending on the gasoline's mixture, but... your looking at a range of like 100-400 F degrees for gasoline to boil. Again, it's all about the mix.

Winter mix fuel will have a much lower boiling temp as an example vs summer. How much of it is ethanol mixed also is a consideration.

If the bike is shut off hot, the engine will continue to heat up right after for a little while before cooling as the core temp is hotter than the external areas that have been cooled by air movement. So the external goes up then down in temp when you stop. This could heat the gas tank/carbs to the point of providing enough heat that the fuel could boil. Other riders have reported this on these bikes in hot weather conditions, so while not "common", it is "normal" for very hot weather.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thank you very much for your explanation and you're correct because we have 25% of ethanol in gasoline and its usually adulterated with other chemicals
                        After ride back I was calm because nothing happened, Engine temperature was really very high for you have an ideia it was impossible put the fingers in the frame
                        In these hot days every time before start the engine I see oil level and using Petrobras 20w50 Api.SL

Comment

Working...
                        X