X

Clutch issues?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch issues?

I figure something isn't right with my bike, or my gear shifting skills are far from optimal. This is the best way I could describe this issue: in Neutral, clutch in, when you shift down to first it's really rough. It jerks mildly and it's loud. While driving, no matter how smoothly I try to shift, it still (very subtly) jerks back. I would think most of this is my own fault, but when in 2nd going to 1st, if you don't really slam down on the pedal, it will grind. Does the clutch cable need adjusting or is this an issue in the clutch?

Depending on the year theres an issue with second gear on these bikes. I believe it was due to a weak shift spring. When shifting to 2nd you should firmly engage the gear. There is a kit to fix this issue but requires removal of the oilpan. For $100 it will give you exhaust header gaskets, oil pan gasket and the firmer shift spring. A rough engagement from neutral to 1st is normal to a degree. Its usually worse on a cold engine or high idles. The oil is thicker on cold engines so the clutch plates drag on each other more, causing the bike to jump forward when shifting into 1st. Dont grind 2nd gear too much either. It will eventually start popping out of gear, permanently.

Oh another thing! When stopping, dont shift back into first until walking pace. Too fast and it could cause permanent damage too!
    Last edited by moodylane; 11-16-2013, 03:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Sound like the clutch isn't disengaging properly, search clutch ajustment
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

What speed are you doing when shifting into 1st?
        Don't trade it - upgrade it!

Comment

if your not running an oem filter and synthetic oil .start there.
          make sure your clutch rod and cable are adjusted properly and the cable lubed
          also make sure your chain is adjusted.
          make sure your shifter is adjusted properly , lubed and tight on the splines

if its clunky going into first gear the first time when cold thats normal, it means the judder spring is worn out and the clutch is locking up. they do that after a few thousand miles. again synthetics will help.
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
          X