X

very high gas consumption 9 lts @ only 30 km

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very high gas consumption 9 lts @ only 30 km

hi, hope i can receive some recommendations to solve this very expensive issue. I just bought my 1990 gsx600f, I was told by the previous owner it havent been used by a very long time about 4 years, so the first thing i did was verify all the electrical lines, then remove the carbs and clean them pice by pice, and after turn it on, is very hard to get it at idle speed, as some times stay arround 1500 rpm and some others needs arround 3000 - 4000 rpm i still revoewing all the lines from to the carbs and fuel tank to discard some vacum issue, but now that i start using it a little bit just to test it , find that is consuming A LOT of gas it takes arround 9 litres in a trip of aprox 30 km. I really dont have idea what is wrong, i already check for any liking and none all is right with the fuel lines and carbs. The only thing i noted is that some times riding i get a strong smell of gas but when i check i cant find any thing apparently wrong. I already reed some of the posts and sticks and i'll check the air filter and spark plugs as I already replaced the oil and oil filter.

I'll really need of your help and advice to solve this problem.if you know obout any other post or reference material, or may you already experimented this same problem please share your experience and how did you solve it. I'll really apreciate it
    gsx600f 1990 all stock, brand new on this exiting life style

Check your oil level, sniff it to be sure there is no fuel in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
      Check your oil level, sniff it to be sure there is no fuel in there.
      +1^^^
      sounds to me like you maybe taking the carbs off again and re-rebuilding them. In the wiki there is a step by step write up on how to properly do it.
      2002 750 Kat
      2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
      1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
      2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by dano68 View Post
        +1^^^
        sounds to me like you maybe taking the carbs off again and re-rebuilding them. In the wiki there is a step by step write up on how to properly do it.
        yes, hum that's what I thought, ok, thanks for your help, I'll do my best, I'll keep you posted about the progress
        gsx600f 1990 all stock, brand new on this exiting life style

Comment

Sounds like your carbs are leaking fuel into the oil if you're going through that much. Check your float heights. There's a trick to check if they properly seal, something about blowing on one if the lines and seeing if any air gets through. Can someone else explain that better?

If you can smell gas in your oil, you'll need to change it again.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Working...
          X