Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

We'll it time to put the kat away but......

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We'll it time to put the kat away but......

We'll I live in Wisconsin and we get a lot of snow/cold weather so I have to winterize my bike.

So this morning I wake up and get ready to take her to her heated storage unit, won't start ....... It's 35 degrees out side so I expected it to be rough to get her going. So I wated till it was 50 out still wouldn't start. So I try to bump start it but when I pull my clutch in and put it into geer it won't move like the cluch is out ???? Dose any one have any idea why this is happening ? Is it just too cold ??? I rode it yesterday so it haven't bean sitting ???? Any ideas I want to get it in storage ASAP now that it has snowed.
    1993 gsx750f Streetfighter

If its worth doing, its worth over doing!!

You'd never have a motorcycle policeman out on the Indian reservation.
    Alex Cox

Is the engine turning over at all? As far as the clutch concern, it sounds like the clutch plates are sticking together. This usually happens if they've sat for a while or the oil has thickened.

Comment

It turns over in nutural and all most starts it's cold I understand but if I put it in gear and pull in the clutch and keep it in it lurches forward like the clutch is stuck. My guess is that's it's just to cold to disengage ??

Alex Cox

Comment

It is 3ºc here which is roughly 37ºf road mine today and no issues you speak of. Was there any type of issue before today?
        2002 750 Kat
        2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
        1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
        2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

I would check the obvious first. Make sure you have fuel and the petcock is in the correct position. Try the prime position also. If all that checks out, you may have to remove the tank to verify good spark and maybe remove a sparkplug and see if it smells like fuel. Also check the oil level and make sure theres no fuel in it.

Edit: try putting the front tire up to something solid like a wall while you clutch and attempt to start it. This will break the clutchplates loose.
          Last edited by moodylane; 11-03-2013, 04:45 PM.

Comment

when is the last time you adjusted your clutch properly?
            94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Last time the clutch was re done was in 2011 so it most likely need to be re done. But I will have to try the tire on the wall trick, I also got it started it was just to cold, I was told my motor has to meany high out put mods to start in the cold. Not so sure if I be leave that tho.

Alex Cox

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Gajewski View Post
                I was told my motor has to meany high out put mods to start in the cold. Not so sure if I be leave that tho.
                I'm not sure about that but an engine requires more fuel to operate due to a cold, dense air charge entering the engine. Basically the colder the air is, the more air there is in any given space.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Gajewski View Post
                  Last time the clutch was re done was in 2011 so it most likely need to be re done. But I will have to try the tire on the wall trick, I also got it started it was just to cold, I was told my motor has to meany high out put mods to start in the cold. Not so sure if I be leave that tho.
                  So it is running really lean then.
                  Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I started my bike today for the first time in forever as well, and it was a battle to get her going. The cold does strange things to an engine, and dirty carbs don't help either so make sure those are all cleaned out.
                    1995 Suzuki Katana 600F
                    Full D&D Exhaust

Comment

hoping to ride to work again Tuesday , weather permitting
                      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Working...
                      X