You are kidding, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
      I'm pretty sure thats an exhaust valve lol
      yes

You are kidding, right?
      Originally posted by moodylane View Post
      Haha der! Exhaust valves are usually larger heh heh!
      nope.
      intake valves are bigger to allow more air to be sucked in more freely
      while exhaust valves are smaller because the piston can push the spent charge out.alonge with the spent charge pulling in a fresh charge for the brief moment both valves are not closed.
      Originally posted by moodylane View Post
      Oh no! How in the world did the intake valve give up?
      it's an exhaust valve and in fact you can see that it is in the image.
      although it kind of looks like an angle of perseption issue too.
      the chipped valve is exhaust valve the one up and left is also exhaust
      the dark bottom left one is intake and upper left one is intake.

Yup that'll do it!

I'd hesitate to just replace the valve and gasket though. Those fragments must have gone somewhere!!!

I don't have enough experience in engine guts that deep to say anything though - but I'd look very very carefully at the piston and rings before anything else at all.

Someone who knows more than I do can help better.
      I didn't pull the cylinder off, and don't intend to.
      also hooray for suzuki engineering i pulled the head off in the bike.
      it didn't burn oil now and i don't think it will when i am done so not going to replace the seals. as i don't want to get an A.M. gasket i want the 3 piece metal head gasket not the rubber coated one.
      also pulled all the valves and im going to lap them and make them seal all nice.
      Last edited by Icepaws; 10-31-2013, 09:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I'm pretty sure thats an exhaust valve lol
        I've been hoodwinked! In all seriousness it's a bummer either way. I ended up doing the same thing on my previous bike. It had 2 less cylinders though. I've yet to see a valve just chip.

Comment

Valves can chip from anything!

Do you have any idea how fast these little things are travelling, and the forces involved?

Even a grain of sand pulled inside can wreak serious damage. Valve fragments will wreak even more

Comment

Thats true. I watched a valve and spring operate at 20,000 rpm in an f1 engine on youtube. That was impressive.

Comment

ordered a head gasket and valve seals, cleaned the head, and just letting the carbon deposits soak in P.B. blast.
              Possibly going to soak the whole thing in #2 oil.

Comment

Good luck with it Paws!

I don't have any suggestions or advice to offer in this situation, but best wishes!

Comment

I'd definitely soak it, or at the very least spray it down with wd-40 or something to coat it to prevent flash rusting. It'd be a real PITA if that happened.
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                    I'd definitely soak it, or at the very least spray it down with wd-40 or something to coat it to prevent flash rusting. It'd be a real PITA if that happened.
                    the head is cast aluminum as far as i can remember. looks like im not riding this weekend, i got the head gasket but no valve seals yet.

Comment

Use this however you want. I have seen cases were the cylinder head was removed and the cylinder not disturbed but when bolted back together the base gasket leaked oil.

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
                        Use this however you want. I have seen cases were the cylinder head was removed and the cylinder not disturbed but when bolted back together the base gasket leaked oil.
                        i have seen that before when the base was rather narrow of a gasket but the kats have a good thickness so i doubt it.

also on another note
                        the head gasket and valve seals came in, already got them in and the valves reinstalled, tomorrow going to put the cams in and check clearance. then install

Comment

well it's all back together
                          but not running as great as ever
                          all the carbon i cleaned out
                          i need to richen the minutre for
                          the idle circuit air fuel
                          how is a hiku to go again?

Comment

also as it would turn out it you can be off a tooth with the timing chain and not bend the valves, however 21 pins i find out.

Comment

I'm guessing that was the issue with it not running well after you put everything back together? Also not entirely clear from that last post - the valves didnt get bent when you were off on the timing? Hope not. That'd be a bummer after all the work already done.
                              1998 Katana 750
                              1992 Katana 1100
                              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                                I'm guessing that was the issue with it not running well after you put everything back together? Also not entirely clear from that last post - the valves didnt get bent when you were off on the timing? Hope not. That'd be a bummer after all the work already done.
                                no while i was putting it all back together i noticed i was off a tooth and when i turned it over by hand it was not hard at any spot but was just harder in 4 different spots and not how i remember my engine being, when i checked i loosened the cam bolts and pulled the cam out and turned the intake back one tooth and then it felt better.
                                still running lean because of all the removed carbon and properly seating valves. i have a lot of mods to my carbs for efficiency and smoother running, i need to turn the mixtures out. *grabs 90degree tool.*

Comment

Working...
                                X