Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Hello, First Post... Starting and Chain Issue after 3k miles Please HELP :)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, First Post... Starting and Chain Issue after 3k miles Please HELP :)

Hello,

This is my first post. I have a 2005 600cc Katana. She has some character but usually runs.

The bike had been sitting with little use for about two years (id start it and go on short ride's around the block here and then just so it wouldn't stick). I was about to take a long trip and before the trip I had the carbs cleaned, new oil put in, new spark plugs put in, new tires, new chain, and sprockets put in also--not sure how much I trust the mechanic.

The bike turned on just fine and I took her on a 500 mile or so tour. Then it sat for about a month. After that it had issues starting but with the full chock and the occasional throttle it got going. I took it for a 2500 mile trip from Dallas, TX to Vegas and back. As I rode it more it started better. Once the girl gets going she runs like when she was new.

The problem:

Wont start:
    After the 2500 mile ride, I let her sit for about three weeks. Now I cant get her to turn back on. It cranks just fine but it wont get going. Everyone once and a while she sounds like it might go but no luck. I tried the chock (it isnt like I am in a cold climate) and I even tried to push start her. No luck. I thought of cleaning the carbs and plugs but that was just done 3000 miles and two months ago. Any advice?

New Chain is dragging:
    Before her extended storage stay, I rode this bike everyday for my 20 mile work commute and I never had chain issues. However, after only 3000 miles or so the chain is dragging. I was having to pull the tire back every 1000 miles or so. As I notice the chain stretch accelerating in such a short time, I started lubing it every other day. I didn't want to be stranded 1500 miles away. I don't know if it was the extra weight I was carrying on her or what (about 60LBS of gear and I weigh 230lbs). I have never worn a chain out this fast--3k is kind of ridiculous. I checked the sprockets and the alignment of the rear wheel and they appear fine. What can it be?

I love her. She just isnt loving me right now.

Not sure if I put this in the right thread, please share as needed. Thank you for your time and help.

p.s. I am a mechanic novice--oil changes, chain adjustments, and that is about it.

Not sure if I put this in the right thread, please share as needed. Thank you for your time and help.

p.s. I am a mechanic novice--oil changes, chain adjustments, and that is about it.
    Last edited by harvalva; 10-23-2013, 04:50 AM.
    Some see things are they are and ask why. Others just love to ride! :bunny2

First post... 2005 gsx600f having Starting and Chain issues after 3k miles... Help

Hello,

This is my first post. I have a 2005 600cc Katana. She has some character but usually runs.

The bike had been sitting with little use for about two years (id start it and go on short ride's around the block here and then just so it wouldn't stick). I was about to take a long trip and before the trip I had the carbs cleaned, new oil put in, new spark plugs put in, new tires, new chain, and sprockets put in also--not sure how much I trust the mechanic.

The bike turned on just fine and I took her on a 500 mile or so tour. Then it sat for about a month. After that it had issues starting but with the full chock and the occasional throttle it got going. I took it for a 2500 mile trip from Dallas, TX to Vegas and back. As I rode it more it started better. Once the girl gets going she runs like when she was new.

The problem:

Wont start:
    After the 2500 mile ride, I let her sit for about three weeks. Now I cant get her to turn back on. It cranks just fine but it wont get going. Everyone once and a while she sounds like it might go but no luck. I tried the chock (it isnt like I am in a cold climate) and I even tried to push start her. No luck. I thought of cleaning the carbs and plugs but that was just done 3000 miles and two months ago. Any advice?

New Chain is dragging:
    Before her extended storage stay, I rode this bike everyday for my 20 mile work commute and I never had chain issues. However, after only 3000 miles or so the chain is dragging. I was having to pull the tire back every 1000 miles or so. As I notice the chain stretch accelerating in such a short time, I started lubing it every other day. I didn't want to be stranded 1500 miles away. I don't know if it was the extra weight I was carrying on her or what (about 60LBS of gear and I weigh 230lbs). I have never worn a chain out this fast--3k is kind of ridiculous. I checked the sprockets and the alignment of the rear wheel and they appear fine. What can it be?

I love her. She just isnt loving me right now.

Last edited by harvalva; 10-23-2013, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Welcome to KR!

To the starting issue: Even though you had the carbs cleaned, you could still have gunk in the tank that may have clogged the Petcock screen. Also, I believe the Post Kats also have a fuel filter that could be cogged as well. If the dirt got past those your jets could be clogged again. I'll tell you how I test to see if it is a fuel delivery problem or an eletrical issue... I take the seat off and spary some starter fluid into the air cleaner. If it starts, the you need to start checking for a fuel delivery problem (including the possiblity that the carbs were not cleaned properly).

As to the chain, which brand did you get? It is normal for the chain to stretch for the first few hundred miles or so but if you have an inferior chain, (i.e. cheap) that could be the issue. Also, you want to make sure that your rear wheel sprocket is lined up properly with the chain and front sprocket. You can't just go by the marks on the chain adjuster/swingarm. They are usually not acurate.
      sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
      1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
      2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
      First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
      Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Welcome to KR!

She still loves you she just needs your TLC and not some so called Mechanics attention.

Sounds like you still may have carb issues, KatanaGSX92 has a quick aproach to telling what the issue may be(electrical or fuel). In the wiki the is a great tutorial to download as well steves put up a great vid to help you along as well.

As far as the chain sounds like you had a crap chain put on, get yourself a good quality chain. IMHO change the sprockets as well as the chain.

If you do not have a manual download it from the wiki, that will take you through the procedure of chain replacement as well as everything else on your bike
        2002 750 Kat
        2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
        1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
        2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Welcome

+1 on checking the filter

Comment

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it!

Comment

The starting issue could still be carb related, vacuum/air leaks related, or low power to the coils.

The chain issue is simple... Normal care is to lube it every 300 or so miles. Longer trips will cause more wear as it gets hot and stays for longer periods. They wear on a curve... as they get more worn, they wear more faster... so when they start to go, they go down hill pretty quick.

I'd suggest on a long ride... lube lightly every gas fill, at the least every other fill.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Did I just step into bizarro world? was this thread not all ready started and some suggestions already made. I'm sure I threw in my 2 cents already
                2002 750 Kat
                2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
                2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
                2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
                1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
                2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Welcome to Kr !

Comment

Sorry, I was up really late working on the bike and when I turned to the forum for help I was a little tired. I wasn't sure where I was supposed to post and just wanted some help. But thanks for the guidance!

Comment

Working...
                    X