Clutch cable replacement - DONE!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch cable replacement - DONE!

Oh, so THAT'S what the clutch lever is supposed to feel like....:bunny2

Since the cable decided that I didn't need a clutch to get home from work on Monday I got to spend yesterday evening replacing the cable. I'm guessing it was still the original cable based on the amount of gunk I found when I got it all apart. I don't think anyone had opened that cover since the time of the Macarena.

So, what should have been a simple 30 minute fix turns into 45 minutes of cleaning, 30 minutes of replace, lube and button it back up and a few minutes to check that I didn't mis-measure the chain when I checked it a couple weeks ago (because all the gunk I'd found made me wonder if it was possibly still the original chain, too).

Followed the manual and a couple of the guides on here, works beautifully now! Shifting that had been a slightly notchy experience that I chalked up to the age of the bike and previous abuse is gone. I think most of that was eliminated by the cleaning and lubing of all the pivot points, especially the shift lever itself. Dry as a bone when I pulled it off.

This was one of those projects that I had intended to do ever since I got the bike back in May but, of course, never got around to. It came in near the bottom of the must do list, after brakes, tires, carbs, valve adjustment, lights, gauges, seat, etc., etc....

On the up side, now have nice shiny new throttle cable and choke cable as well!

Lesson learned, do the PM before it becomes a must do...

while it sounds like you are new, to your bike anyways, you should adjust the chain so that it does not rub on either side of the sprocket and so that it has the proper amount of slack.
    adjusting th echain so that it does nto rub on either side of the sprocket is a great way to extend the life of your chain and sprockets set.
    just when you have it center you should be able to push the chain to the right and have some movement then turn the tire a few times and be able to push it the other way.

Comment

While relatively new to bikes I read voraciously and am constantly learning. Chain alignment came naturally to me because of my cycling background and had read many different forums and manuals over the past couple years.

Since I had just done new tires I had checked it all then so good to go!

Comment

Working...
      X