Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Just another carb cleaning/repair show (pic intensive...)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just another carb cleaning/repair show (pic intensive...)

A member sent me his carbs to be cleaned. He had been informed that they had previously been gone through, but there were some issues with leaking and not working right.

Yes... yes there were definately some issues.

They were way out of sync, so far that the idle adjuster wasn't adjusting... Couple of issues there...

One of the central springs was missing for the sync here...

Also, someone drilled out the pilot air jets.

Badly....

This one still had brass shavings stuck in it. (hole on the right if your not familiar with the pilot air jet location... )

Bowls just randomply put back on... Notice the variable screws used to put the bowls on? Yeah, we'll come back to that in a moment.

Patch job prior on this brass tube for the starter circuit (we call it choke alot of the times). They used electrical solder. Upon later inspection, it was discovered the patch not only sealed the outside of the tube... but the inside as well, making this carb choke not work at all! That's how solder works... heat the part, and it sucks the solder right inside.

This cap was broken in a couple of places, and the vacuum port for sync was broken off and sealed off.

Getting in to the insides... we find lots of varnish, rust, and other deposits.

Varnish rings on the dynojunk installed needles...

Dynojunk 120 jets installed... for an otherwise stock 600 bike. (too big!) Note the additional brass shavings sitting in/around the transition ports.

Notice anything funky here?

I found 3 total of the pilot jet plugs in this carb for some reason. The third one was way deep in the vent hole behind the floats.

Clean enough... right?

This is the fuel inlet and gasket for the Fuel T. All of them were heavily lined with this powdery substance...

Check out the residue on the emulsion tubes....

Inspecting the remaining good carb caps...

Notice anything?

Different angle to see how uneven it is...

Those will cause vacuum leaks on the caps. Many times ones that most people would not realize and never find.

So... lets fix that with some fine grit sandpaper and a good flat surface...

After just a very little bit of sanding, you can clearly see it was not a flat surface. The "shiny" parts still have not hit the sandpaper, especially on either side of the problem spot.

Better!

Ah... there we go.

So... All the parts went through the cleaning process and got things sorted for replacement and repairs.

First... resolved the issues with the single carb body that had the blocked choke tube. Cleared it out, redid the solder a little cleaner, and...

Inspecting everything... most rubber was shot, the float needles needed replaced, the DJ jets and needle setup was not fitting for the otherwise stock bike, and we needed to replace the broken/missing parts. So... parts were ordered including a Factory Pro jetkit, K&L rebuild kits that included new float bowl gaskets and float needles, replacement Pilot Air Jets, and finally a new Carb Cap.

And finally everything was assembled back...

Now... one last thing. And it was the very last thing. Right at the final part of the assmembly I was putting the carb bowl on carb #1. And... as it turned out the holes were partially to fully stripped. (this is why the two pics above show the JIS screws put back in that were longer). It's also why they were there originaly. The screws were used on the top side, but someone switched them to make it work. Yeah, dind't work so well as the carbs were leaking.

Can't tap larger, or use inserts. There just isn't enough material around the holes to do this. So... Now... to save the current owner $... because the fix wouldn't be cheap (full disassembly again, and a high heat application of alumiweld, then drill and retap the holes....) I instead got some longer screws and a nut.

One was still partially threaded and holds fine if your not heavy handed.... and the one that was totally stripped got a nut.

Should run alot better now with no leaks.

Krey
    Last edited by Kreylyn; 06-26-2016, 12:36 PM.
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Nice work Tim!
    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is why getting a shop to clean your carbs doesn't work.

Best carb writeup I've seen Krey - impressive.

Comment

Amazing. The previous owner of my Katana was also running the WRONG Dynojet setup.

Just goes to show the carbs are a good place to start *proper* once again.
        Beautiful write-up Krey.
        - Purplehaze
        All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

krey your bad ass!!!!!

Comment

Just Amazing congrat's and thanks to share

Comment

How much do you charge to have carbs cleaned and synched with a factory pro kit? Want them done this winter and definitely trust you more than the shops around here.
              - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

Originally posted by rottenpixies View Post
                How much do you charge to have carbs cleaned and synched with a factory pro kit? Want them done this winter and definitely trust you more than the shops around here.
                He can't sync your carbs dude. He can bench sync them but that is it. They have to be installed on your bike and synced with a manometer.

Comment

nice writeup, what a mess
                  2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Wow, lucky guy (gal?) who you helped out! Nice work!
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Working...
                    X