X

Front brake grabs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front brake grabs

Hey fellow fellows. I have an 03 Kat and im having trouble with the front brake lever that's kind of scary. whenever I squeeze the lever it does not move smoothly and the front brake grabs. The lever kinda moves in segments. Its tight and I squeeze harder and it jams on the brakes. Its hard to explain. Any help is appreciated. the brake fluid is the color of motor oil and the level is good. Im thinking master cylinder.

New motor oil or old crappy used motor oil?

Definitely sounds like something is binding. Could be the master cylinder, could also be the calipers need a rebuild - the pistons could be a bit pitted and are catching. Rebuilding the calipers, honing the cylinders, and polishing/replacing the pistons would take care if it if that were to be the case. Brake rebuilds aren't too hard, there's even a good how to written up on here somewhere.

New bike to you? Something you've put a fair few miles on? New problem that suddenly appeared? Long time existing problem? Brakes ever been worked on? More info might help someone more experienced than I point you in a better direction.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Brake fluid is clear... fyi. Discoloration is from moisture, and needs replaced.

I would suggest you do a full cleaning of the system as well.

Also, if you still have rubber lines, it's really important that you get some braided lines to replace them. The rubber lines are way past their life.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
        New motor oil or old crappy used motor oil?

Definitely sounds like something is binding. Could be the master cylinder, could also be the calipers need a rebuild - the pistons could be a bit pitted and are catching. Rebuilding the calipers, honing the cylinders, and polishing/replacing the pistons would take care if it if that were to be the case. Brake rebuilds aren't too hard, there's even a good how to written up on here somewhere.

New bike to you? Something you've put a fair few miles on? New problem that suddenly appeared? Long time existing problem? Brakes ever been worked on? More info might help someone more experienced than I point you in a better direction.
        Oh yeah, The bike is an 03 kat Ive had the bike about 3 years and the problem started about 2 months ago. I put about 15000 mi on it and the fluid looks like new motor oil. Some days its worse than others.
        Last edited by Blue AlKat; 10-01-2013, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue AlKat View Post
          ...the fluid looks like new motor oil.
          Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          Brake fluid is clear... fyi. Discoloration is from moisture, and needs replaced.

93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
          X