X

New Kat Owner.... I think im in trouble already

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Kat Owner.... I think im in trouble already

Hello Gents, I am an owner of a 96 Katana gsxf. I purchased it for $1000 two weeks ago with 15.5k miles and have been loving it ever since. Problem is, I just took it for a ride tonight only to find it doing some weird things like never before. First off I don't know much of the history of it, all I know is it ran when I test drove it (beautifully might I add) and has until today. I'm out for a ride when I notice some faint popping or sputtering when I idle down coming to a stop. Its also Idling a little lower than normal. The biggest telltale is the significant loss in power. Usually she gets up and goes while I'm on the highway at any time I'm ready. Now it struggles. I will admit I am a pretty aggressive rider, but in my defense I'm used to bikes a taste bigger. I am scared i might have done something really fatal to it. I have no knowledge of bikes but I am pretty decent at youtube mechanical car stuff (if that makes any sense). PLEASE help as I am a passionate cycle rider and i feel like i will die inside if something is serious. Thank you

I'd bet cold hard cash you are running lean. You are opening the throttle heaps, and not getting enough fuel in to burn all the air up.

Fuel line check for crimps and angles, check for fuel filter (you shouldnt have one), and Carb clean for you

Comment

yip, I see a carb cleaning in your future http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=63557
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I'm going to go for a coil or lead breaking down. It's easy to check: Put a small bottle of water in your pocket, go for a ride and get her nice and hot. When she starts doing it, pull over and splash or squirt a small amount of water on the headers. If no or very little steam comes off one or more of them, there's your answer.

Free and simple!
        Last edited by Ronny; 09-28-2013, 10:47 PM. Reason: Spelling
        Don't trade it - upgrade it!

Comment

Very true Ronny - but dead cylinders would change the engine note and it would sound like a twin or triple, and OP said only noise change was the popping.

We'll soon find out though if he does as you suggest

Comment

I'd also bet your running lean.
            Best Regard,

Matt Coney (559-300-7037)

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
              Very true Ronny - but dead cylinders would change the engine note and it would sound like a twin or triple, and OP said only noise change was the popping.

We'll soon find out though if he does as you suggest
              Ah yes, good point. At least it's a cheap check, I s'pose!

Comment

We all know that he's going to try that first, now that you threw that into the mix.....thanks Altough it is possible that the wires need cut back.
                Last edited by 92xjunker; 09-28-2013, 11:16 PM.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                  We all know that he's going to try that first, now that you through that into the mix.....thanks Altough it is possible that the wires need cut back.
                  He could always throw a bit onto the leads too...

I'll stop now

Comment

Popping on deceleration means lean mixture. Carb cleaning, factory air filter and maybe a FP Stage 1 jet kit.

I'll send you my bill.
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Most people can't tell when it's running on 3 insead of 4. The note change isn't that drastic.

More so if it's a weak spark issue from arcing.

I'd go electrical myself. Checking the plugs, wires, and coils.

If it doesn't fire in the chamber, fuel is pushed out into the ehxuast and will cause popping too.

Oh, and additionally... check the oil.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

yea im with krey on this, lower idle an losing power id bet the plug wires are giving issues or even just a dirty ground to the motor or battery. Slower cranking on cold days or mornings?
                        94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Thank you guys for the responses first of all. I did try the small squirt bottle of water trick like you knew I would. I didn't know exactly where my heads are as being I know crap about bike engines. That being said I squirted small streams strategically in places that my fairings would allow me the space. Nothing steamed or sizzled at all. I went for a small ride very gingerly today over to my next town roughly around 10 miles round trip and did the water thing when I got home. When I stopped and killed the engine when I got to the next town I noticed a small amount of smoke coming from the exhaust on the right. Never seen that before today. I am losing my mind and don't know what I should do. I don't think I trust myself working on it. My tight limited budget is preventing me from taking it to a shop. ARG!!!@%!#$%

They aren't loud pops or anything, just noticeable. They are more like poofs then pops. I had also heard a small squeal but I don't think that was anything I'm probably just consciously looking for other things that's wrong. Oh yea and it is idling lower than normal. when I first got it it was around 8-900 rpm now its sounds around 3-400 range.

Comment

The headers are the tubes that come out the engine behind the front wheel. They bend down and then bend again to run under the bike. They should all be equally hot, and water should sizzle when sprayed on them after a good ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
                              The headers are the tubes that come out the engine behind the front wheel. They bend down and then bend again to run under the bike. They should all be equally hot, and water should sizzle when sprayed on them after a good ride.

You mean where the exhaust starts from the engine right?
                              Pfftt..... I'm such a dummy

Comment

Working...
                              X