X

Choke Lever Stuck

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choke Lever Stuck

Hello all, I've been having this problem since the day I bought the bike but the choke lever on the handlebar is just stuck. I can't get it to budge and I dare not try hard enough to break it. Recently it started chilling down in my area and my bike won't start at all because of no choke. I'm not sure what could cause it to stick like this. Any help?

I would say, most likely you have to change the cable. It could be rusted or frayed in the sheeting. Easy job to replace, most of the job is loosening fairings and removing tank.
    2002 GSXF 750

Comment

A quick test...

Reach into the left side of the bike and pull the choke rail on manually. If it will move freely open and closed, then it's definately the cable.

If it won't move easily... it's time to pull and clean the carbs.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

+1. Also, it may be worth dismantling the left bar pod and making sure it's not filled with epoxy like one I saw recently

Comment

How would I go about getting the pod that houses the choke lever open?

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          A quick test...

Reach into the left side of the bike and pull the choke rail on manually. If it will move freely open and closed, then it's definately the cable.

If it won't move easily... it's time to pull and clean the carbs.

Krey
          This may be a stupid question... But where would I find said "choke rail"?
          Last edited by MichaelVeringo; 09-26-2013, 09:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I believe this is what Krey is talking about. Also you can pull tank and maybe get a better look, make sure it's not gunked up, but I think the cable might be froze up!

Big ass picture, my bad! Can't figure out how to downsize it.
            Last edited by uncltommy77; 09-26-2013, 09:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

You open the pod by removing the screws at the back.

The rail is the brass and steel assembly on the carbs, it runs across all four on the underside. It's the only bit that you can move on the outside

Comment

Originally posted by uncltommy77 View Post

I believe this is what Krey is talking about. Also you can pull tank and maybe get a better look, make sure it's not gunked up, but I think the cable might be froze up!
                Thanks for the picture! I see it but someone said that should move? How?

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelVeringo View Post
                  Thanks for the picture! I see it but someone said that should move? How?

You pull it. Reach in with 2 fingers and pull. It should be very easy to move and pull towards the side of the bike. If it won't move, it's your carbs... not the cable. You will need to remove them and have them cleaned.

BTW.. awesome pic.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Push it, and it will slide in. Pull it, and it will slide out. Thats what the choke lever on the left bar does, it's cable moves the rail in and out.

Comment

Ya figured it might help a little! Not bad with flash in the dark haha. I had the littlest pin hole in the fuel line a month ago that I found. That's why the carb is a little stained. If anybody noticed haha

It's a little tough or weird to get a hold of but do able. Curiosity got the best of me hahaha. Once you get a hold of it, pull and if nothings wrong on carbs then should slide pretty easy. Mine did!
                      Last edited by uncltommy77; 09-26-2013, 10:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Ya figured it might help a little! Not bad with flash in the dark haha. I had the littlest pin hole in the fuel line a month ago that I found. That's why the carb is a little stained. If anybody noticed haha
                        A little stain ain't never hurt nobody. Welp it took me about 10 minutes to figure out how to fit my abnormally massive hands to pull it, but the choke rail slides in and out, nice and smooth (that's what she said). So now all I need to do is order a cable. Is there anyway to "ghetto start" it by pulling the choke rail out while hitting the starter?

Comment

Have somebody use needle nose or something and hold it. Crank her up! You could but you kind of need the clutch!

Comment

No need to do it at the same time Pull rail out, start, push it slightly back in when the RPMs stabilise, tiny blip of throttle to make sure it's not going to bog, push all way in - ride!

Comment

Have somebody use needle nose or something and hold it. Crank her up! You could but you kind of need the clutch!
                              Yeah I shouldn't do that with my hand should I? But I could hold the clutch with good ol' duct tape and if it starts I could just immediately take it off? haha. I'm running out of ideas..

Comment

Working...
                              X