X

Flooding with temp bottle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flooding with temp bottle

2000 Katana 600 Alright, I have a set of freshly rebuilt carbs and a brand new aircleaner assembly. Everything hooked up correctly and no noticeable vacuum leaks. I hooked up a temorary gas bottle (used an old oil quart container with a nozzle tip to hook up gas line) so I could run it and synch the carbs. But, for some reason it's flooding the carbs and actually spilling out of the overflow/air balance lines (on #1and#2 only). It runs but I can't tune or get it to run 100% due to the flooding. I checked the jets for obstructions and overall cleanliness before the install, but didn't check the float heights. Could this be my problem, or perhaps I need to hook up the temp bottle differently? Temp bottle has the bottom cut out and suspended above the bike. Any help would be VERY appreciated!
    Last edited by kelso38; 09-21-2013, 02:56 PM. Reason: additional info

Float needles not sealing
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Just noticed it was only coming out of #1 and #2 overflow/air balance tubes. Aaaargh, I was hoping it wasn't something requiring me to break down the whole carb assembly.

Comment

check the floats heights while you're in there.

Comment

Soooo, I just found out from the previous owner that the carbs came off Ebay and I can't really confirm that it's a "good" rebuild on them. Back to square 1 and the hell with it. Factory Pro stage 1 kit and rebuild coming up!! And, yes I have a Yoshi slip on already (in case somebody says anything) with factory air filter. No riding til spring

Comment

If you take the carbs apart and start soaking the bodies now you can have them ready to assemble by the time the parts arrive next week. (12-24 hours soaking each means 2-4 days.) That'll have you riding next weekend.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Okay, if you learned from the previous owner that the rebuilt carbs came from eBay, they aren't "freshly" rebuilt duder.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                Okay, if you learned from the previous owner that the rebuilt carbs came from eBay, they aren't "freshly" rebuilt duder.
                I purchased the bike right after he bought the carbs. He just couldn't tune the bike or figure out all the other problems. So I got it for a steal. These carbs haven't even had more than a gallon of gas through them and the bike hasn't even hit the street yet. But, hey! You were the guy I wanted to talk to anyway. What rebuild kit would you recommend? I know you pretty much make your living off these things and seem to know more than most about them.

Comment

If you do need rebuild kits, I'd go with K&L. Most of the time you don't need rebuild kits, just float bowl gaskets. However, your issue has absolutely nothing to do with worn parts. You can resplace everything, it's not going to change the float heights.

Comment

Sweet. Thanks for the info Arsenic. I'll be tearing into the carbs tomorrow to do a "complete" check on everything. Just wanted a pro opinion while you were on here just in case of worst case scenario.

Could you confirm for me what the float height is supposed to be on those carbs? I keep hearing either 13mm or 14mm
                    Last edited by kelso38; 09-22-2013, 10:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I have a set of 98-06 600 rebuilt carbs, but they have OEM jetting, not FP. Send me a PM if you can't square them away. BTW, the set I have does have K&L rebuild kits. I'm telling you though, that's not that common. Float heights are 13mm +/- .5mm.

Comment

Got it. Thanks again, and if I run into problems I'll PM you for sure about that set you have.

Comment

Just got done yanking those carbs apart and sure enough #1 float height was alllllll jacked up. Everything else looked clean and in good condition, including the emulsion tubes. But, since I already have them tore down I'm going to get the Factory Pro kit anyway. Thanks for all the info guys!

Comment

Already been answered
                            1995 Suzuki Katana 600F
                            Full D&D Exhaust

Comment

Working...
                            X