X

Oil leak+ a couple other issues

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leak+ a couple other issues

So I'm new to the site and riding in general and I picked up a 2003 katana 750 a couple of weeks ago. Everything seemed to be running pretty well until after a week or so I notice a small amount of oil on the sides of the fairings after about 45-60 mins of riding, I took a look around and saw it was coming from above the exhaust near the front of the engine. The gaskets were peeling slightly off the sides and there's a good coating of oil on the front and sides of the engine, it's not dripping if it's sitting or anything it only comes out when running. So I figure that it's probably the gaskets and I've got those on order plus an oil filter so I can get that done as well. I put some oil in but I'm having trouble seeing the oil level... The window is kindof grey colored and I can't see any oil through it. So I thought maybe the oil was really low because even tilting it to the right I couldn't see anything. However the oil I used was clear ( it was castrol 10w-40 for 4 stroke bikes) so I think maybe that's the issue? When it's running I can see some movement of fluid in there but I don't want to ride around on it much in the current condition in case I've put too much oil ( I put 2-3qts checked each time after letting it sit and couldn't see anything still). After adding oil it seems to run better in the low rpms than before but it was giving me some trouble starting up I wasn't having any issues starting before the oil was added. I was giving it full and half choke but it didn't want to start but if I gave it a little throttle it will go. So I suppose my main question would be is it safe to ride a couple of days before I can replace the seals? To and from work about 5 miles each way and any advice on seeing the oil level or getting it to start easier? Btw I'm not a mechanic by any means so I have my grandpa coming out to help me fix the seals, he was a mechanic for 30+ years and has been riding for longer than that so he should be a major help. If you need any other info let me know and I'll do my best but I've been out of town for a week so it's off of memory till I get back in a couple days.
    Last edited by JackHack; 09-15-2013, 09:50 PM.

Oil should be black after a couple hundred miles and you should check it when it has settled a bit. does the oil smell like gas or look like there is gas mixed with the motor oil? I don't think I would ride it much until everything is kosher.

Comment

The oil on the sides didn't smell like gas at all and it didn't seem to be burning any either, and I agree Ill really only be riding it out of necessity for a day or so before I can get inside and get the new seals to my door, I'm just hoping my oil pressure isn't too high or anything because I wouldn't want to blow the gasket out

Comment

Torque specs

make sure you torque to the spec in proper order and you shouldn't have to worry about that. over torqing in improper order is generally the culprit, I have seen it many times in a lot of the older cars.

Comment

Originally posted by JackHack View Post
          So I'm new to the site and riding in general and I picked up a 2003 katana 750 a couple of weeks ago. Everything seemed to be running pretty well until after a week or so I notice a small amount of oil on the sides of the fairings after about 45-60 mins of riding, I took a look around and saw it was coming from above the exhaust near the front of the engine. The gaskets were peeling slightly off the sides and there's a good coating of oil on the front and sides of the engine, it's not dripping if it's sitting or anything it only comes out when running. So I figure that it's probably the gaskets and I've got those on order plus an oil filter so I can get that done as well. I put some oil in but I'm having trouble seeing the oil level... The window is kindof grey colored and I can't see any oil through it. So I thought maybe the oil was really low because even tilting it to the right I couldn't see anything. However the oil I used was clear ( it was castrol 10w-40 for 4 stroke bikes) so I think maybe that's the issue? When it's running I can see some movement of fluid in there but I don't want to ride around on it much in the current condition in case I've put too much oil ( I put 2-3qts checked each time after letting it sit and couldn't see anything still). After adding oil it seems to run better in the low rpms than before but it was giving me some trouble starting up I wasn't having any issues starting before the oil was added. I was giving it full and half choke but it didn't want to start but if I gave it a little throttle it will go. So I suppose my main question would be is it safe to ride a couple of days before I can replace the seals? To and from work about 5 miles each way and any advice on seeing the oil level or getting it to start easier? Btw I'm not a mechanic by any means so I have my grandpa coming out to help me fix the seals, he was a mechanic for 30+ years and has been riding for longer than that so he should be a major help. If you need any other info let me know and I'll do my best but I've been out of town for a week so it's off of memory till I get back in a couple days.
          one quart is close to equal to a litre. How many times did you put in 2-3 quarts? These bikes only hold a bit less than 5 litres with filter change. If you are worried, drain out the oil and put back 4-5 quarts. I would NEVER myself put used oil back in a bike. Might be a good idea to clean your sight glass as well.
          1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
          V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
          Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

Yeah if the parts don't come in soon I'm going to at least drain it and refill the oil so I know how much is in there, and I just put it in once because I didn't want to overfill, well once overall but 1qt at a time to see if anything showed in the window.. When I get home ill probably stick a dipstick in the oil fill hole to see how high it is. Do you think I'd be fine leaking a small amount of oil or should I seal it up with some silicone in the meantime? Or maybe find another ride? Ill have to do a few short trips to work and back over the next few days before I can get it fixed up because its taking forever for the seals to ship out... 10-15 minutes tops nothing over 40-50mph.
            Last edited by JackHack; 09-18-2013, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Well draining the oil and refilling seemed to have done the trick, no problem seeing it through the windows and I cleaned up the outside of the engine and haven't seen any more oil leaking out, rode abut 700 miles since still nothing! It had quite a bit too much oil in it I think... Grandpa said even if it was leaking a little as long as its not soaking and the oil is pouring out or something it wasn't too big of a deal with a bike 10-11 years old and that the engine and everything sounded and looked fine. We stripped the plastics off and pressure washed off all the oil and grime that was all over to see if we could spot the leak but nothing yet.
              Last edited by JackHack; 09-24-2013, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Please don't pressure wash bike engines

You'll now have forced water into whichever gasket was bad and compounded your problems hot soapy water and a scrubbing brush is fine, but no pressure jets.

Comment

Noted wont be doing that again.

Comment

Working...
                  X