X

Air Vent Hoses

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Vent Hoses

Hey all. So I've got a custom streetfighter '88 600 kat frame with a '91 750 engine in it. When I bought the bike it would not start, due to a slipping starter clutch. So I replaced the starter clutch along with a new starter. I did roll-start it prior to fixing the starter clutch. Now at that time, it would rev and pull perfectly, but would not idle at all. As soon as I would slow to a stop or pull the clutch in it would die instantly. So, I set the throttle stop screw to a position that the bike would "idle". Once I did that, the "idle", if you could even call it that, was rough and fluctuated between dying and 2k rpm. Also once it was set to this idling position the bike would no longer rev smoothly or get past 4-5k rpm or so. Its worth saying also that when I bought the bike it did indeed have a k&n filter which I have replaced with an oem. I now also realize after further inspection that the carburetor vacuum hose that goes to the petcock was never connected and that the bike was always in the "prime" position on the petcock. After installing the oem filter, and installing the vacuum hose to the petcock and running in the on positon, (I also went through and cleaned out the petcock to ensure proper operation) I am still having a very very rough inconsistent idle and trouble revving. So, off with the carbs again today, and while taking a close look at them I noticed that the rubber air vent connectors running between the carbs were basically non-existent they were so corroded, and I don't have air vent lines hooked up to them at all. So, after that long explanation what my questions are, are could those missing air vent connectors/hoses be causing my problems? Would they cause a vacuum leak or not because they are simply vents? Also where could I find new connectors? I am familiar with the Carbs 101 sticky of course. Just am looking for answers, thanks! The bike does also have a vance & hines full exhaust system.
    Last edited by 5.0; 09-14-2013, 11:48 AM.

No entirely sure I'm envisioning the right hoses, a pic is worth a thousand words.

When was the last time the carbs were cleaned? If you don't know the answer, time to cuddle up to carbs 101 some more. Idling issues are frequently caused by dirty pilot circuits.

Good job on ditching the K&N!
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

The vent hoses or open ports are not your issue. you can run without vent hoses or 'T' fitting, they should be installed to keep water and dirt from entering the carb. Your carbs need cleaning, down load 'carbs 101' buy the right supplies and have at it, then do it again. set A/F screws to 2.5 turns not 1.75. And the K&N not helping matters.
      Last edited by 92xjunker; 09-14-2013, 03:57 PM.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Alright guys. Well thanks for the replies, I have now rebuilt my carbs and reinstalled them on the bike. Did an oil change and got new gas aswell. Just started up the bike...its already running better than ever before. BUT. . .its leaking profusely from where those air vent T-fittings should be 92xjunker. I did turn the a/f screws up to around 2.5 turns...could that be the problem? carbs are flooding because of excess fuel and need turned back down?? The bike did have a k&n before I started this as I stated, but it does have an oem filter installed now. Need help guys! This needs finished asap so I can atleast get a few rides in before winter!!

Comment

I attached a picture of the carb diagram I have. I am leaking fuel from #25
          Attached Files
          Last edited by 5.0; 09-23-2013, 07:13 PM.

Comment

dont quote me because im not positive but the upper "T" I believe is the vent/overflow so if its pouring out around those then you need to most likely do a full tear down an install some fresh parts.
            Could be floats set to high, an 2.5 turns is a favored number but you may find your bike likes somewhere between 2-2.5 turns.
            Did you completely tear down the carbs when you cleaned em? I know you said your familiar with carbs 101 but did you do it right?
            94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Yes carbs were completely torn down and cleaned then reinstalled, correctly. As I said in my first post my carbs didn't have air vent hoses connected to where those T's should have been. The T's themselves were mostly cracked and torn up aswell, but it didn't leak prior to this. Im just looking for solutions. Would turning down the a/f screws to a more lean mixture possibly solve the problem? Basically my question is what is causing the leak from there?

Comment

Working...
              X