Known Issues

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Known Issues

Evening KatRider forum.

I've just acquired a 2001 Katana GSX750 with a little more than 17,000 miles on it. I believe I am the third owner. I have owned several different bikes, and have been riding since I was a teen.

I'm posting today to get a little more info, maintenance wise, on any known issues that I should be aware of and look out for. Type of oil, and oil filter, air filter, spark plugs & cables, etc...I'm going to order a repair manual today.

In the coming weeks I plan on changing out the items listed above as well as new sprockets and chains, tires, front & rear brake pads and brake fluid, just for peace of mind, however if anyone has a suggestion on something else that I should check, repair or replace...(clutch, bearings, carbs, ect..) please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks in advance KR

Welcome to KR. Personally, I think you don't have to do as much as you're going to. I can understand basic maintenance, but you might be replacing items that don't need replacing. If it were me, I'd start with fresh plugs, oil, and brake pads.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I was really only going to change the other items basically for peace of mind cause the seller really could not tell me the last time the oil was changed, so in my mind, if you can't tell me something as simply as that, what else needs to be done?

Since oil, oil filter, air filter and brake pads will be the first thing I'm going to change, any suggestions on the brand of oil and filters?

All and all, the bike seems to run and shift pretty good.

Comment

Brake fluid. Get's over looked quite often.

Comment

I like Royal Purple for oil, gets pricey though. I just like it purple

K&N oil filter. Emgo air filter. EBC pads. Others may be better, but I'm really happy with them.

Comment

Brakelines, they should be date stamped, and have a recommended lifespan of abut 4 years i believe (rubber lines). Upgrade to steel lines is highly recommended.
            2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will be taking your advice. I'll keep you updated.

Comment

Working...
              X