Idle Screw Spring too big?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle Screw Spring too big?

99 Kat 600 - Very low idle problems

I noticed that the spring on my idle screw when it makes contact with the throttle wheel only lets me turn it 1.5-1.75 times before it is fully compressed. Is that a little too few turns? Or does that sound about right, should I only have about 0-1.75 worth of adjusting turns? I don't even know why the spring is there, other than a safety device to prevent someone from giving them self a very high idle? Would a high rpm idle damage the engine or anything? If I take the spring off, I can get about 10 turns before the screw is fully in. Should I get rid of the spring?

Are the throttle plates inside the carbs supposed to be airtight when closed? I can see little slivers of light through them, the two on the left which were running rich are almost completely sealed except one sliver on the side whereas the two the rights you can see a halo of light all around them.

Originally posted by jondoe View Post
    99 Kat 600 - Very low idle problems

I noticed that the spring on my idle screw when it makes contact with the throttle wheel only lets me turn it 1.5-1.75 times before it is fully compressed. Is that a little too few turns? Or does that sound about right, should I only have about 0-1.75 worth of adjusting turns? I don't even know why the spring is there, other than a safety device to prevent someone from giving them self a very high idle? Would a high rpm idle damage the engine or anything? If I take the spring off, I can get about 10 turns before the screw is fully in. Should I get rid of the spring?

Are the throttle plates inside the carbs supposed to be airtight when closed? I can see little slivers of light through them, the two on the left which were running rich are almost completely sealed except one sliver on the side whereas the two the rights you can see a halo of light all around them.
    Back the idle adjust all the way off.

Bench sync the carbs.

Mount them, and sync on the bike.

Do the final adjustment for the idle when hot.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, or the bike won't run right... you probably are going to need to clean the carbs. They are so far off now probably because that was needed/tried before and not done very well.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
    X