X

Choking warm weather?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choking warm weather?

On my 98 600 Kat, I only had to use the choke in colder weather (at higher altitude).

On this 02 750 Kat, I am at lower altitude and having to use the choke on every start. For about 20-40 seconds for a good idle.

Is this normal/OK, or should I be concerned?

A cow orker mentioned it may not be good to rev the engine on cold start every time, but if I have to use the choke every time it tends to happen.

Idle is fine ~1200 rpm (per manual). Running is fine.
    Rode: 198X Italian moped,1978 Honda CB750, 1988 Kow 600 Ninja,1985 CB250, 1998 600 Kat, 2001 Chineese 250 POS
    Ride: 2002 750F Kat
    "I like my beats fast and my BASS DOWN LOW"

Originally posted by Circuitmage View Post
    On my 98 600 Kat, I only had to use the choke in colder weather (at higher altitude).

On this 02 750 Kat, I am at lower altitude and having to use the choke on every start. For about 20-40 seconds for a good idle.

Is this normal/OK, or should I be concerned?

A cow orker mentioned it may not be good to rev the engine on cold start every time, but if I have to use the choke every time it tends to happen.

Idle is fine ~1200 rpm (per manual). Running is fine.
    Your current bike situation is normal if by "every start" you mean every cold engine start. The other was probably a bit rich by settings or even a minor leak.

If you have to use choke when the engine is warm... that is a problem.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Cool. Thanks.
      Rode: 198X Italian moped,1978 Honda CB750, 1988 Kow 600 Ninja,1985 CB250, 1998 600 Kat, 2001 Chineese 250 POS

Comment

I do half choke (it isn't really a choke, it is an enricher BTW) in warm weather.

I can start it with none, but it bogs down in idle and I have to rev it a little on the first 1/4 mile (and be careful on the throttle or it can stall easily). If I use half for about 10-20 seconds, it does a lot better once I drop it back to none.

Comment

Yeah...maybe what I did with my 600 was rev it abit and let it sit...could have sworn I did not have to choke it, but I could be wrong...was awhile ago.

All's good.

Comment

Originally posted by Circuitmage View Post
            Yeah...maybe what I did with my 600 was rev it abit and let it sit...could have sworn I did not have to choke it, but I could be wrong...was awhile ago.

All's good.
            Honestly I have found a ton of reasons why sometimes I have to choke it and sometimes I don't. Temp is only one of the things.

I find I don't have to choke it as much when I use non-ethanol gas. I do not use 87 anymore for a gas station because if you let it sit for a while, you have to use stabil (or another anti-seperation additive). Ethanol can bind to water and seperate out of gasoline. Ethanol has a higher density then gasoline so it tends to sink in the gas tank so you tend to draw in a lot of ethanol and water if you let the bike sit for a while. Then the problem is you have 10% of your gasoline at an octane of around 100 (ethanol is around 100 AKI (M+N)/2), and 90% of your gasoline is 85 AKI, which can lead to all kinds of fun problems.. If you use 89 AKI E10 then you will have 10% 100 AKI Ethanol and 90% 87 AKI Gasoline. IF you use 87 AKI Non-Ethanol, you get 100% 87 AKI and 0% 85 AKI...

Comment

Ive used marine stabile to good ends for issues w water/ethanol. I use a bit with each tank and its never done me wrong. I think I heard about it from Krey actually.

Comment

If it didn't need choke then they wouldn't have put a choke on it. Its completely normal. All my carb'ed bikes will start and idle without choke or throttle input but it takes them longer to warm up. I usually pull about half choke on everything but my 2 strokes, which need full choke. After 8-10 seconds I'll reduce the choke to a quarter, then about a half mile later I'll turn it off. If I don't choke my Z-Rex on cold starts it seems to be at a loss of power during that riding session.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempted View Post
                  If it didn't need choke then they wouldn't have put a choke on it. Its completely normal. All my carb'ed bikes will start and idle without choke or throttle input but it takes them longer to warm up. I usually pull about half choke on everything but my 2 strokes, which need full choke. After 8-10 seconds I'll reduce the choke to a quarter, then about a half mile later I'll turn it off. If I don't choke my Z-Rex on cold starts it seems to be at a loss of power during that riding session.
                  Next bike is going to be fuel injected... Good bye guessing game, hello auto-choke.

Comment

Originally posted by numus View Post
                    Next bike is going to be fuel injected... Good bye guessing game, hello auto-choke.

My friends VFR is FI and has a choke.

Comment

Originally posted by muffinman View Post
                      My friends VFR is FI and has a choke.
                      Is that first generation??? I would think with FI, the cpu would handle that easily?
                      Extra life.

Comment

Originally posted by rockat View Post
                        Is that first generation??? I would think with FI, the cpu would handle that easily?
                        It does handle that.... Choke on a FI engine is beyond stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by rockat View Post

It's the 98 800. It's completely useless. Starts without it just fine. It's also electric fuel pump which makes the choke even dumber.

Comment

ya the 5th gen vfr has a manual choke and FI it makes me laugh to myself every time i look at it

edit: yes it was the first year of FI
                            Last edited by Aimbot9000; 09-06-2013, 12:32 AM.
                            94 kat 600 RIP
                            97 vfr 750 ride on

Comment

That's retarded. I do know that the Microsquirt doesn't have the ability to choke or control the idle. They say it would cause too much size and heat to add, so you need a choke and idle air screw. I was looking at one for the Z-Rex but when I read up on it I found out the thing sucks. Its worse than the carburetors.

Comment

Working...
                              X