X

Clutch slipping when cold?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch slipping when cold?

I've managed to slip the clutch three times since putting the bike on the road last Friday. All three times were when the bike was relatively cold but engine was warmed up from a few blocks of riding. When the bike is up to normal temperature it seems fine. The oil was changed last Friday during the safety inspection at the Suzuki dealer and they used semi-synthetic oil. I can only assume the dealer knows what they're doing and put in the proper oil. Bike has 54,000kms or 33,500miles and was sitting for close to a year before I purchased it.

Could it just be from sitting, wrong oil, need adjustment or it's just pooched? Also could being overfilled with oil cause it to slip? I need to put it on the centre stand but as of now the oil level shows overfull with the bike level.

Sometimes people put Fully Synthetic causing that problem but i would assume a dealer would know that but maybe not?

Comment

If the bike is on the side stand it would lean to the left side so at the correct oil level u wouldnt see any oil so if its overfull while leaning then the bike has way to much oil in it.. seeing as a suzuki shop did it im thinking they filled it right and you are leaking fuel into the oil..take the oil cap off n take a sniff..this most likely isnt the cause of ur issue but needs addressed..now for the clutch slipping how old are the clutches? I would venture to say they are worn out and need replaced

Comment

Don't assume the Suzuki dealership knows anything about a GSXF katana. They don't..

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
          Don't assume the Suzuki dealership knows anything about a GSXF katana. They don't..
          +1

You may want to consider contacting "hardlydangerous" .... a member here on KR and he lives across the bridge from you. He knows his shit.
          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
          ------------------------------------------
          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            Agreed! If they did they wouldn't of tried to sell me on k&n filters for "more air = more power"

Only way to be sure of shit is seein it with your own eyes an touching it with your 2 hands.
            94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Yall must have some shiity shops them my local suzuki dealer is one hell of a mechanic and knows all h8s bikes extremely well

Comment

I'd check the clutch adjustment and cable first.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

as far as cold effecting the clutch: I ride till it snows and take out the bike even before the snow is gone. Never experienced slipping. just short of 60 000km.
                  2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Wouldn't colder, more viscous oil be better at preventing slippage anyway?

Comment

Checked the oil on the center stand after running in for a few minutes and the level was perfect. I'm going to swing by the dealer after work tomorrow and have them check the cable and adjustment and go from there.

Comment

Working...
                      X