X

The can of tuna is going in the recycling

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The can of tuna is going in the recycling

So I'm starting to loose my mind about this bike, 02 600, and how it wont start. She cranks but wont turn over. I can pop start the bike and she runs like a dream, but it wont start from the button. Here is what I know:

-Battery is good, put the volt meter to it plus I tried jumping the bike.
    -Checked all the fuses, they are good.
    -The coil pack fuses and connections are good, all reading proper voltage
    -All the safety and kill switches are properly working
    -The starter is turning strong and is receiving proper power.

I checked the plugs and they are good but I'm not getting spark. So with no spark what could it be? And how can I pop start the bike and have it run great with no spark?

Any input would be great, thanks guys

Originally posted by blackhawk9 View Post
    So I'm starting to loose my mind about this bike, 02 600, and how it wont start. She cranks but wont turn over. I can pop start the bike and she runs like a dream, but it wont start from the button. Here is what I know:

-Battery is good, put the volt meter to it plus I tried jumping the bike.
    -Checked all the fuses, they are good.
    -The coil pack fuses and connections are good, all reading proper voltage
    -All the safety and kill switches are properly working
    -The starter is turning strong and is receiving proper power.

I checked the plugs and they are good but I'm not getting spark. So with no spark what could it be? And how can I pop start the bike and have it run great with no spark?

Any input would be great, thanks guys
    That doesn't mean the battery is good. You need to run a load test on the battery alone to determine if it is good or not.

Comment

Put a volt meter on the battery while trying to start the bike. I'd bet that the voltage is dropping a bunch when you hit the starter button and that's why you don't get spark. If that's the case then you need to replace the battery. Jumper cables are great if your battery is basically healthy but often they won't carry enough power to make up for a worn out battery.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
        Put a volt meter on the battery while trying to start the bike. I'd bet that the voltage is dropping a bunch when you hit the starter button and that's why you don't get spark. If that's the case then you need to replace the battery. Jumper cables are great if your battery is basically healthy but often they won't carry enough power to make up for a worn out battery.
        Makes sense to me, but how would jumping it with a car not give it enough power? (I know you explained it above but it just baffles me)

Comment

When you connect to batteries together, they get into equilibrium. If one is bad, the good battery will pump all the juice it can into the bad one in a vain effort to equalise them. If that load is too high, there won't be sufficient current remaining to power the starter.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
            When you connect to batteries together, they get into equilibrium. If one is bad, the good battery will pump all the juice it can into the bad one in a vain effort to equalise them. If that load is too high, there won't be sufficient current remaining to power the starter.
            Ok that makes some more sense, thanks. I will try this tomorrow and report back. Thanks so far for the input guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post

wild bill does it again

Comment

When checking power at the coils... always do it 2 times. Once with the key on, once with the starter turning the engine over.

That would show a battery issue really quick as well.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I've had a new battery solve almost every starting issue I've had since buying my '03 600 6 years ago.
                  - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

Bad batteries are also called Vampires. They work as load resistors and are only good at converting electricity to heat (electrical loss by non recoverable conversion).

If you want all the chemical equations and calculations we can talk in private but just know that a "good voltage" at rest means absolutely jack. Current is only part of voltage, the other half is resistance. If you have a bad cell your resistance goes up greatly, which means your current has to go down equally to maintain the same voltage.

Comment

I had the battery sit for 8 hours on a 2 amp charge to see if it would make a difference. I was getting a 11 volt reading when trying to start the bike. From what I've read that number should be in the high 12s or 13. So I went to my local bike shop and bought a battery. The guy was nice enough to check my old battery and he said it needed to be charged, aka it was bad.

I am currently waiting for the new battery to charge. Also crossing my fingers and toes that a new battery solves my issue.

On a side note, it was interesting to see that I had to "make the battery". Learn something new everyday.

I will report back in about 4 hours.

Comment

I had the battery sit for 8 hours on a 2 amp charge to see if it would make a difference. I was getting a 11 volt reading when trying to start the bike. From what I've read that number should be in the high 12s or 13. So I went to my local bike shop and bought a battery. The guy was nice enough to check my old battery and he said it needed to be charged, aka it was bad.

I am currently waiting for the new battery to charge. Also crossing my fingers and toes that a new battery solves my issue.

On a side note, it was interesting to see that I had to "make the battery". Learn something new everyday.

I will report back in about 4 hours.
                        Make the battery? Guess you bought a sealed wet cell.

Comment

Originally posted by numus View Post
                          Make the battery? Guess you bought a sealed wet cell.
                          It came with the acid to pour in the battery for the chemical reaction to occur. Either way it's not the battery. I am still getting no spark. I took a reading of what I think is a relay, had 2 30amp fuses in it. It read 14volts but when I tried starting the bike it read 0volts. Does this sound correct?

Thanks for the input so far and sorry wild bill, I wish it was as easy as a battery. Any other suggestions?

Comment

Any other suggestions?
                            Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                            When checking power at the coils... always do it 2 times. Once with the key on, once with the starter turning the engine over.
                            Make sure you check voltage at all 4 wires on the coils when doing so.

This infomation will help to direct you in the next direction to go.

Write it all down, and post it here... That should be a total of 8 readings we would see fyi.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

It came with the acid to pour in the battery for the chemical reaction to occur. Either way it's not the battery. I am still getting no spark. I took a reading of what I think is a relay, had 2 30amp fuses in it. It read 14volts but when I tried starting the bike it read 0volts. Does this sound correct?

Thanks for the input so far and sorry wild bill, I wish it was as easy as a battery. Any other suggestions?

Where exactly on this did you check the voltage?

If it goes from 14 to 0 when you press the starter it is because the relay is working correctly. It switches from ground to the starter motor and grounds thru the motor.

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                              Make sure you check voltage at all 4 wires on the coils when doing so.

This infomation will help to direct you in the next direction to go.

Write it all down, and post it here... That should be a total of 8 readings we would see fyi.

Krey

8 readings? Shouldn't it just be Ignition control hot to each plug?
                              Last edited by numus; 09-04-2013, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X