X

Good Throttle Response - What Are The Keys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Throttle Response - What Are The Keys

For my edification and perhaps that of others...my bike runs pretty good.

What are the Keys, or Key, to good throttle response?

When I say good I mean bordering on your throttle becoming self aware and responding when you simply think about going faster.

No idea what you mean. Throttle all depends on how clean your carbs, plugs and air filter are, and how uncontaminated your fuel is.

The physical system is incredibly simple. Twist and go!

Comment

Are you talking about throttle control when you ride?
      2005 Gsx600f- My baby
      1989 Gsx600f - My hell raiser
      Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy View Post
        No idea what you mean. Throttle all depends on how clean your carbs, plugs and air filter are, and how uncontaminated your fuel is.

The physical system is incredibly simple. Twist and go!
        ^
        |
        |
        Agreed. As long as everything is in great condition, as soon as that throttle turns, there should be something happening. Remember you got a Kat, NOT a gixxer. But once you see what the kat will do, you will know when it is running at its peak.

Comment

I guess my whimsy distracted from the fact that I was looking for something a little more elegant than if everything is perfect then throttle response will be perfect.

Yes, that's true, but for anyone who has never ridden a new Kat off the floor all we have to go by is the experience on our "new to us" bikes, which could be far from perfect and if that imperfect feel is all we are looking to replicate we aren't doing ourselves or our Kats any favors.

How do you get it to be as good as it can get if you don't know what that really is?

This is really why I like to know why things work the way they do, not just how they do, and probably the real reason be hind this post. This can work as a substitute for first hand experience of that perfect feel.

My '05 Kat 600 has rebuilt carbs, floats to spec, A/F 3 turns out, 120 main jet Stage 1 kit, K&N air filter with the large velocity ring, a Yoshimura RS-3 slip-on, 16/46 gearing and always quality 93 octane.

It'd like to leave me behind when I roll on the throttle, which might be pretty good, but can I get it to snap my neck instead... I don't expect or want it to be a Gixxer, but I do want to take some liberties with it, I like tinkering with it.

What are the interrelationships between the different components and what happens if you tweak this or tweak that or tweak them together, i.e. the AF screw, the jet needle position, the throttle cable tension/position, etc...

Twist and go, yes, but is it going as good as it can go...?

Comment

Originally posted by FinallyGotMyKat View Post

My '05 Kat 600 has rebuilt carbs, floats to spec, A/F 3 turns out, 120 main jet Stage 1 kit, K&N air filter with the large velocity ring, a Yoshimura RS-3 slip-on, 16/46 gearing and always quality 93 octane.
            The majority of your problems are right there Fix them, and all will be good with the world

Comment

Rode a friends gxsr 750... Honestly didn't notice any throttle response improvement

Comment

Im sure someone else will chime in but lose the K&N and set af for 2.5 and resycn them.
                Ride like it's your last ride
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DarkFury View Post
                  Im sure someone else will chime in but lose the K&N and set af for 2.5 and resycn them.
                  +1, the filter isn't doing you any good, oem type filter and airbox will work the best.
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran
                  If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Going up a couple numbers on the pilot jets will help throttle response immensely. I went from 12.5 to 15's and it was night and day.

Comment

Working...
                    X