X

Idle Speed screw not moving

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle Speed screw not moving

So, i sort of included this in another post of mine but i would like to get an opinion on it:

My Idle adjustment knob doesn't really turn at all - it just snaps back to it's original position like a rubber band! I bought the bike used a year ago - and this has never been an issue or anything; but i am about to take my carbs apart and clean them so i'll be able to get to this part quite easily and possibly find out what the issue is.

I also noticed that there in the line of the knob it's a little stripped as if the previous owner had used a screwdriver to turn it at some point or something? What could this be? Why would it be stuck?

Thanks for all of your thoughts and insight!

They rust - and eventually snap - if not lubed regularly. It has a phillips screw centre for people with short, fat fingers. You will get to it when you pull the carbs, so check if some lube frees it up - replace otherwise.

Comment

Rusted or gunked up. If you can spray some penetrant in there or get in there and clean it up it should work fine.
      First motorcycle - new project
      1992 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Comment

Cool, glad to know this should be a relatively easy fix. I figured, after watching Carbs 102 that it should be sorta easy to get to - but it's always nice to hear a second opinion!

Thanks Ya'll!

Comment

Having exact same problem, so hard to reach the stupid screw. Complete noob, is penetrant same thing as penetrating fluid? Can I just spray it on the knob without having to take apart anything? I'm assuming I can find that at any auto shop?

Since that thing is stuck, should I be checking anything else that probably wasn't maintained, currently bike is idling really low within first hour of startup, like 500 - 750 rpm, but after that will idle at 1200, figured was screw issue, but couldn't get the stupid thing to budge, hopefully that will solve idle problem.

Comment

If the bike is new to you I'd take the time to lube everything that could possibly need it. Cables, chain, pivots, etc., just work your way through the manual. Who knows what the previous owner did or didn't do.

Might save you from a session of on the side of the raod.

Comment

Id lube it up real good..if still having the same issue the just replace it..for the price of a new one its not worth trying to get under the jacket n get all the old dirt n stuff outta it

Comment

The most common reason the idle adjuster won't move, is hard to move, or snaps back into position after trying to move it... is because the rubber cover on the adjuster has hardned in a U curve shape.

Cut it off... and it will work again. You can replace it with something simple like an electrical shrink wrap if you want, but I generally just use them without it.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  The most common reason the idle adjuster won't move, is hard to move, or snaps back into position after trying to move it... is because the rubber cover on the adjuster has hardned in a U curve shape.

Cut it off... and it will work again. You can replace it with something simple like an electrical shrink wrap if you want, but I generally just use them without it.

Krey
                  Where is that rubber located? Not something you can see when looking directly at the screw?

Comment

You dont see the rubber coating when u look at the cable? U know all the black rubbery substance that covers the cable which turns the screw in turn opening the butterfly valve letting more air in and raising the idle rpms?

Comment

See the rubber sheath on the cable at the bottom? That's what I'm talking about.

Alternatively, you could purchase a new cable if you wanted.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

See the rubber sheath on the cable at the bottom? That's what I'm talking about.

Alternatively, you could purchase a new cable if you wanted.

Krey
                        krey any idea as to where my mate can buy a idle speed adjuster cable? Ive looked everywhere online here in the uk and cant find one at all ! i even switched my ebay app on my phone to america and nothing
                        steve

Comment

What year model?

Pre should be part number 13279-20C00, post should be 13267-19E00. Any OEM parts dealer should be able to get that for you.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

Try "http://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk" they can get anything that is still available and have masses of parts on the shelf

Good luck, Colin.
                            Carpe Jugulum...
                            1994 GSX1100F

Please check out my re-build thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128660

Comment

Thanks chaps !

Comment

Working...
                              X