X

Quick Question on Compression

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Question on Compression

Hi guys, I've managed to get my bike started after a few years of sitting. Anyways, I performed a compression check on all 4 cylinders of my 98+ kat. Cylinders 1, 3 and 4 were at 150 psi and C2 was at 120 psi. I know ideally they are all within 10-15 psi of each other. I was wondering is it alright to get it running with this difference? Can it mess up the engine? If so, how can I increase the psi in C2 as easily as possible?

I'm a noob still but I appreciate any responses, thanks for reading!

It's not going to hurt the motor, easy remedy? Not usually for compression issues. Just get it running and ride it. The issue maybe just a dirty valve seat. Ride it for awhile then recheck it.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      It's not going to hurt the motor, easy remedy? Not usually for compression issues. Just get it running and ride it. The issue maybe just a dirty valve seat. Ride it for awhile then recheck it.
      Awesome! I'll put it all back together now. I just repainted it all over the past week or two. Thanks for the quick response, have a blessed day.

Comment

If the drop in compression is due to worn valves or rings, then there is no easy fix. Head off and valves / rings replaced, re-seating, honing ...

However, before tearing in deeply, ensure the valves are set properly and you are running good fresh oil. Also ensure conditions were the same for all cylinders (ie not that #2 was dry due to carb issues while the others were wet.) But in reality, there will be plenty of Kats getting around with bigger differences.

Comment

Working...
        X