X

bike dies when i put it in gear

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bike dies when i put it in gear

As the title says the bime idle n runs fine i put it in gear and it dies..whats up?

Kickstand up? Safety switch working ok?

Comment

Kickstand safety switch?

Is it a "Dead Kill" or the idle is so low?

Comment

Dead kill
        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
        ------------------------------------------
        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Sounds like the side stand safety switch.

Put the bike on center stand. Start and allow to idle for a few minutes.

Manually pull the side stand into place, making sure the switch closes. Engage 1st.

Comment

Thanks guys it is the switch i put a tie wrap on it to hold it in and put it in 1st ran fine..guess the stand isnt pushing it in far enough..can u just twist the wires together n get rid of the switch?

Comment

It's possible.....but think about it. The bike died because you forgot to kick it up. I had a friend go down years ago because he turned left out of a hospital parking lot. Wouldn't it be better in the long run to just get a new spring*
              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
              ------------------------------------------
              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

U got one hell of a point there..atleast i know what it is now. Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by firefighter313 View Post
                  U got one hell of a point there..atleast i know what it is now. Thanks guys
                  new springs will help.
                  never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

May not be the spring, may be that you simply need a shim/thin washer on the inside of the pivot of the side stand. As they wear, they loosen. Too loose, and the spring pulls to the inside (towards the center of the bike) and it no longer depresses the plunger on the switch.

If when up, you can move it in/out (towards the side and away) then... that's your issue.

It's a simple fix.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ok ill try that first it does move alot when up

Comment

just had this issue. thanks for all the good info

Comment

Working...
                        X