No announcement yet.
X

Why does my katana sound like a harley?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does my katana sound like a harley?

EDIT: SOLVED

header on cylinder 4 has busted right loose. now time for some exhaust shopping.

I was riding to work today when I was stopped at a light, once the light turned green I gave my bike a good go probably to about 8-9k rmp and my bike started making this horrible popping noise like it was a pop corn machine or a 2 stroke.

I'm not sure what running on 3 cylinders sounds like but the engine sorta makes a flapping noise and a popping noise but definitely not from the exhaust sounds like it's coming from the header

Some work history
    1992 600 katana,

Carbs rebuilt (soaked for 72 hours) fully reassembled and vacuum synced. 1300 km ago

engine compression check 2 weeks ago every cylinder at 150psi exactly.

oil changed 500km ago (no gas in oil)

I'm uploading a video it should be up soon,
    Any help is appreciated and btw I can do some work here at my office but all I have for tools is the oem toolkit.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M7dyH27u64"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M7dyH27u64[/ame]Here's a link to the video (sorry for the vertical video and I hope the sound isn't too crappy to not hear what's going on)
    Last edited by Maverick.Marq; 07-19-2013, 08:13 AM. Reason: issue found.

Check the header temps to locate dead cylinders, possibly bad plugs, wires or coil
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

That's what you think a Harley sounds like?

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
        Check the header temps to locate dead cylinders, possibly bad plugs, wires or coil
        thanks I found the issue as per my edit. I guess when I gave her a good go I broke the weld clean off my exaust manifold at cylinder 4

Comment

Glad that you've found the problem please share with us how much you spent in repair and how has been made

Comment

Originally posted by Tempted View Post
            That's what you think a Harley sounds like?
            yup, turns out they sound like something with a broken exhaust.

but really it was just to get attention. a harley sounds like this

potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato

Originally posted by KATANA-BRASIL View Post
            Glad that you've found the problem please share with us how much you spent in repair and how has been made
            I'll either weld it (zero dollars)

or buy a full V&H supersport exhaust ($400)

leaning towards the V&H SS since the whole exhaust is pretty rusty and dinged up a few times
            Last edited by Maverick.Marq; 07-19-2013, 09:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

repair and than you can search for a used in good condition in eby its awesome used parts avaliable in USA

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick.Marq View Post
                yup, turns out they sound like something with a broken exhaust.

but really it was just to get attention. a harley sounds like this

potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato potato

I'll either weld it (zero dollars)

or buy a full V&H supersport exhaust ($400)

leaning towards the V&H SS since the whole exhaust is pretty rusty and dinged up a few times

The SS2-R sounds much better, but is slightly more expensive. It's worth the diff though.

The SS system sounds like a pissed off bee.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I don't know if Kerker build one for Kats but I love the noise it makes on my Kawi 1200R. Its about a grand though.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                    The SS2-R sounds much better, but is slightly more expensive. It's worth the diff though.

The SS system sounds like a pissed off bee.

Krey
                    Damn like 120 bucks more for no bee sound.

do you have the ssr-2 krey?

would you recommend just going up 1 size on the main jets? does any of the other jetting need to be changed? I've got a Canadian version so I've got an adjustable needle already, if I can avoid buying a whole jet kit that would be sweet.

I'll probably weld it till I can dump the cash into the ssr-2 and proper jetting

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick.Marq View Post
                      Damn like 120 bucks more for no bee sound.

do you have the ssr-2 krey?

would you recommend just going up 1 size on the main jets? does any of the other jetting need to be changed? I've got a Canadian version so I've got an adjustable needle already, if I can avoid buying a whole jet kit that would be sweet.

I'll probably weld it till I can dump the cash into the ssr-2 and proper jetting

Actually, I currently have the ss system, and is the reason I know it's sound well.

I have a SS2-r can, but the midpipe is being used for Badfaerie's Micron exhaust (which sounds amazing!).

As for the jetting... you might need 1 size larger jets, but as you mentioned, you got the needles already. Your looking at about $20 in jets probably.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                        Actually, I currently have the ss system, and is the reason I know it's sound well.

I have a SS2-r can, but the midpipe is being used for Badfaerie's Micron exhaust (which sounds amazing!).

As for the jetting... you might need 1 size larger jets, but as you mentioned, you got the needles already. Your looking at about $20 in jets probably.

Krey
                        Thanks again Krey, you really are a Kat Master.

Now to order a 600 dollar exhaust system without the girlfriend finding out...

also, am I doing any harm to the bike running it without that 1 header on correctly? sure as heck isn't a balanced system anymore

Comment

So I got the SS2-R system installed along with 115 main jets.

After the install I noticed my idle wouldn't drop any lower than 3000 RPM and narrowed it down to an air leak in one of my intake boots.

They seem like they were in ok shape so I got any gunk off of there and put in new O-rings. I broke one of my boots when re-installing it so It'll be a few days before the carbs go back on the bike.

Anyways, I forgot the reason for this post, the pipe sounds really amazing at cruising speeds. and it seems to be cruising at about 1000rpm less than it was with the stock pipe at highway speeds. so that's probably going to improve gas mileage a bit.

Thanks for all the advice KatRiders

Comment

if you can, post a video so I can hear the ss2r cuz I too have the ss system. Ive got some vids in my build thread of the ss if you wanted to compare as well.
                            94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Originally posted by crazycraven420 View Post
                              if you can, post a video so I can hear the ss2r cuz I too have the ss system. Ive got some vids in my build thread of the ss if you wanted to compare as well.
                              Will do.

My girlfriend has a pretty good mic she uses to record her singing, I'll try to borrow it to record the sound once I get things sorted. It'll be better quality then my cell phone for sure (plus I need to figure out why the camera on my phone doesn't work anymore)

Comment

Working...
                              X