No announcement yet.
X

How well should my diaphragms seal?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a full set of carb parts is like $300 something bucks.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
      a full set of carb parts is like $300 something bucks.
      no biggie, was trying to keep this low-buck but I'll pay to do it right. $100 in o-rings just seems weird to me.

Does this have needles and stuff too? I have a v&h exhaust that came with it, wont I need different jets and needles? I think my carbs are stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor1148 View Post
        I can't get the sucker out even after letting some wd-40 soak on it, I guess I'm going to have to get nasty with some vice grips.
        Um... it's not a lube thing... so WD40 isn't going to do jack. You need a serious carb cleaner to dissolve the fuel varnish. Kerosene or Similar will eventually do it... next week sometime. Need something more aggressive.

Or just soak the bodies in the carb dip (you do have a can of carb dip to really clean the carbs right?... ) and they will fall out when done.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          Um... it's not a lube thing... so WD40 isn't going to do jack. You need a serious carb cleaner to dissolve the fuel varnish. Kerosene or Similar will eventually do it... next week sometime. Need something more aggressive.

Or just soak the bodies in the carb dip (you do have a can of carb dip to really clean the carbs right?... ) and they will fall out when done.

Krey
          You mean my spit shine wont do the trick!? I've had a can of berrymans waiting for this for a while. I for some reason thought I needed to get all the rubber pieces out before I dipped them, but I suppose that was incorrect.

Comment

Normally you should, because dipping the rubber over time will both degrade the berrymans, and leave crap in your dip that could potentially get stuck somewhere at a later date. For this purpose it's just fine. But if you are going to order the rebuild kit with the new seats I would just use vise grips
            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

1 hour in the dip, pull them out... the plug (with O-ring probably still there) will come out... then you don't have to worry about the entire O-ring dissolving into the can.

Personally... for the time, trouble, and such... I'd be just fine with the can dissolving the O-rings. That can should last you much longer than you can use it and need replacement.

Obviously take out what you can... but for that specific point.. I'd just soak em.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ok I will do tonight when I get home from work. does the exhaust I have have anything to do with which rebuild kit I get or do I need the rebuild AND the jet kit?

Comment

You need four of them to do the bike. Have you watched carbs 102 yet?

jet kit <> rebuild kit.
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Conor1148 View Post
                    Ok I will do tonight when I get home from work. does the exhaust I have have anything to do with which rebuild kit I get or do I need the rebuild AND the jet kit?
                    Rebuild kit does not come with jets or needles.

Jetkit only contains adjustable jet needles, and jets. (unless it's a dynojunk kit, and it might have some other minor things that you need to modify your carbs to make their kit work... )

So... simple answer, yes you need to both optimally, but the rebuild is more important if your only able to get one.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                      Rebuild kit does not come with jets or needles.

Jetkit only contains adjustable jet needles, and jets. (unless it's a dynojunk kit, and it might have some other minor things that you need to modify your carbs to make their kit work... )

So... simple answer, yes you need to both optimally, but the rebuild is more important if your only able to get one.

Krey
                      Ah, I understand now. Thank you. Didn't want to buy both and end up with multiples of parts.

and yes steves, It is what I watched to help me disassemble them.

Comment

Working...
                      X