X

Idle Problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle Problems

I just recently purchased a 100% stock 1989 Gsx600f. Only thing that i find wrong with it is that once i ride it for about 20 mins or so. On cold start it idles around 1300-1500, once it warms up, it still idles around 1500. I ride it for around 15 20mins If i stop it idles around 2500rmp-3000rmp. I have checked around the intake boots with WD40 and they are not leaking. I havent gotten a chance to sync carbs but I plan too. It doesnt lose power at any rpm and runs like a champ. Here is what is on my list of things to check, If there is something that i am missing that can cause a high idle problem please add. Also please feel free to add sugestions and best practice advise. Thanks.

Things to do.
    • Check for Throttle binding (Not sure how to check this advice please
    • Check for Choke cable binding(Not sure how to check Advice Please)
    • Sync Carbs(Pretty well know how to do this but advice is welcome.)
    I had more in my mind before i started this post but i forgot.

Also I am interested on what kind of MPG the older 600 kats get.

Thanks

You should be able to get 40ish MPG on a kat 600. But if you are having any sort of running problem it's very likely a carb problem, especially on an older bike.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Thanks Steve. Also is it bad to ride the bike with it having this higher than normaly idle problem?

Comment

Probably not bad, so much as not optium.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Check cables by detatching them and then try to slide the cable in the sheith back and forth by hand.

If you pull it all the way one side you can then push that end back in... it should slide in with out flexing the cable. If you can't get it to go back in with out flexing, then it's binding. Start with cleaning and lubing it well, but if you can't get rid of the binding, replace the cable.

Personally though, I would be checking the vacuum/air leak issue again. You will have to make sure the bike is acting up and the symptoms are present before you do that though. Heat may be causing the leak issue, and it's not leaking when not overly hot so testing then would yield no results.

Also... check your oil for level and if it smells of fuel. Fuel in the oil could also cause the issue.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

If it smells of fuel in oil, Just a simple oil change or are some gaskets leaking? Valve seats? Rings? I am good with large engines but I am new to 4 stroke Motorcycles. I am used to 2 strokes not 4 strokes.

Comment

Fuel in oil would be the carbs flooding from the float needles not closing. A good carb clean before sync would be best if you don't know when/if it was done. GL

Comment

I have no idea. Also my bike is drinking gas like a spounge. Ran through a 3/4 tank in like 80 miles. Clearly something wrong with carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jschoolbag View Post
                  I have no idea. Also my bike is drinking gas like a spounge. Ran through a 3/4 tank in like 80 miles. Clearly something wrong with carbs.

The combined issues tell me you have at least 1 carb that is allowing fuel to over flow and flood the engine and probably into the oil

You need to pull the carbs and inspect. It could be (most likely) the float needles not sealing right, but could also be bad O-rings or even jets loose inside.

I would suggest a full cleaning and rebuild, replace all worn parts (if rubber is misshapen at all, it's old and worn... time to replace.)

Then bench sync and bench test with fuel to make sure they are not leaking any more. To do this is simple... fill the bowls through the fuel lines until they stop taking fuel... then blow hard on the fuel lines. If you get air movement... you have a problem.

krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Will it be obvious which float niddle or niddles are not closeing completly? Any one know where ot get some decent carb rebuilt kits?

Comment

Working...
                    X