X

Doesn't want to start when hot/warm

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doesn't want to start when hot/warm

So for the past month or so my bike would not want to start after I had ridden and stopped for a short period of time (to get gas, run into a store). It would turn over for a while and I would have to try 2-5 times before it would finally fire up.

Last week I rode to Walmart, was probably in for 20 mins or so and bike wouldn't start at all. I had to pop start the damn thing.

I was thinking it needs a valve adjustment, I've put about 8000 on the bike since I've owned it and who knows when they.were adjusted last.

Is this a symptom of valves or should I be looking somewhere else? Carbs were cleaned and sync last season, tank coated, so I am thinking they are good, and it ran fine earlier in the year.

If I do adjust the valves, anything I should have on hand that might need replacing, such as o-rings or anything like that? I hate pulling the bike apart and having to wait for parts, I want to get this done in one day.

I did read the how-to's and did a couple searches but don't see any mention of this particular problem.

Thanks in advance!
    89 Katana 750
    06 Honda CRF250R

Battery on the way out? Fouled plugs?

If I could hear a rattling or out-of-order fires I'd consider valves, but not for something like this really.

Comment

Battery is new last year, starts fine when cold. I put I new plugs when I got the bike, guess it wouldn't hurt to check them out.
      89 Katana 750
      06 Honda CRF250R

Comment

Could be flooding out as the fuel drains out of the fuel lines. That would mean 1 or more leaky float needles causing the problem.

I'd do the fuel line test of filling the bowls with prime, then blowing on the fuel lines hard. If air moves, you have a problem.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks Krey, I will check that out. I did put new needles in 2 years ago, but I wouldnt be surprised if some gunk found its way in the bowls.

I did get the valve cover off today. Plugs all looked perfect, nice, dry golden tan color.

Seems like the E valves are kind of tight and the I valves were a little loose. I haven't checked them all yet, they are a pain to adjust when you don't have the little tool for the adjusters. I'm gonna grab a deck screw tomorrow and try that, hopefully it will go a little faster without the needle nose pliers.
          89 Katana 750
          06 Honda CRF250R

Comment

Working...
          X