X

Seafoam to dip carbs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dgxser View Post
    The set for my Katana was the first set I used the Pine-sol on. So far I am happy with the results. This bike sat for five years or so with gas in the carbs, the tank, and it sat out side in rain snow sleet, etc...etc. These things were NASTY. I got them torn down completely, pulled all the jets out, the floats out, diaphragms, everything you can pull or screw out. Then I soaked the metal stuff in Berrymans, the bodies and the plastic stuff in 50/50 mix of Pine-sol and water. Those carbs were clean!! Now, I still took carb cleaner to every orifice and path in the carb body, and followed it with air. But that went really quick and easy compared to the last set I had that was that dirty.
    As a plastic safe degreaser pinesol seems to work fine. Worked for me just dandy. Now I will be cleaning all the orifices with carb cleaner and have used heavy duty degreaser on the jets etc. I watched the grime dissolve off when I dropped them in. I definitely wouldn't trust plastic setting in there. It might not be as quick, but it does work.
    First motorcycle - new project
    1992 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Comment

Originally posted by dgxser View Post
      I have cleaned alot of carbs over the years. One thing to keep in mind for using Berrymans or the like is it is not safe on rubber like the butterfly shaft seals. So if you dip your carb body completely in it, chances are your butterfly shaft seals will leak and give you vacuum leaks afterward if not replaced. Not that you can't suspend them with the butteryfly shafts out of the dip.
      Can't speak to other bikes, but... the Katana doesn't use rubber seals on the butterfly shafts. It's either hard plastic shims that are not effected by berrymans, or felt washers... also not effected by berrymans.

Once cleaned and dry, a small touch oil is recommended because you have washed away any lube, but the parts won't be damaged.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        Can't speak to other bikes, but... the Katana doesn't use rubber seals on the butterfly shafts. It's either hard plastic shims that are not effected by berrymans, or felt washers... also not effected by berrymans.

Once cleaned and dry, a small touch oil is recommended because you have washed away any lube, but the parts won't be damaged.

Krey
        Oh my I'm so happy I didn't make a rookie mistake. +1 to arsenic on his call that he's never had a problem. I started to second guess carb 101 because I didn't remember reading any thing about removing those parts before dipping. I guess its a none issue ill be spraying that felt seal as soon as I can with triflow.
        Last edited by pilot24.green; 07-09-2013, 08:11 AM. Reason: sp

Comment

Working...
        X