X

Ran outta Gas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ran outta Gas

I ran the bike dry wanting to test and see if the reserve worked (my first bike).

Well I ran outta gas, the petcock was pointing down so I turned it to point forward but I still couldn't start it. Does this mean something is wrong/off with my petcock? I don't see any writing on it (On, reserve, prime) But from what I read in the kat wiki its suposed to point down at all times, and point forward (towards the front wheel)for the reserv?

GSX-F 750 2004 (US model)

Last edited by BwamSolid; 06-20-2013, 11:38 AM.

So you had it in the "on" position and ran it till it died, the turned it to "res" and it started up again? Sounds like that's working normally to me... Kinda I'd the point if having a reserve.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
      So you had it in the "on" position and ran it till it died, the turned it to "res" and it started up again? Sounds like that's working normally to me... Kinda I'd the point if having a reserve.
      You got it right until the part you said it started again. I switched it to res and still could not start it. It was completly dry.

Comment

well if u run the bike till it dies that means you completely emptied the bowls in the carbs. You then have to put in on prime to refill the carb bowls before you put it on reserve or it wont start.

Comment

So your petcock initially was in the down position, arrow pointing down. You ran the bike till it ran out of gas. Then you turned the petcock to the front position. Either way, this is either Reserve or Prime, both run form the port that is fed form the lower reaching filter, pulling gas from lower in the tank.

Bear in mind, you drained the bowls low enough the engine can not run, and in the Reserve position, the vacuum valve is still in play, so you will need to crank the starter (creating spirts of vacuum on the valve to let gas go in slugs to your carbs) long enough to fill the bowls back up to where the engine is getting a good mix to run on.

Try turning the petcock to Prime, it is the same as reserve, it just manually opens the vacuum valve.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!!

Current rides
          1993 Suzuki Katana 600
          1981 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Comment

Originally posted by shift6 View Post
            well if u run the bike till it dies that means you completely emptied the bowls in the carbs. You then have to put in on prime to refill the carb bowls before you put it on reserve or it wont start.
            Ah ok, wasn't aware of that. I thought you just run out of gas, switch it to "on" and up you go. Thank you all for the info, I'll test it again over the weekend.

Comment

Was there any gas in the tank when you switched to reserve? (IE: if the tank if completely empty then your petcock definitely isn't working right... if you had gas, it's probably a simpler problem.)

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
              X