Possible leak - any suggestions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible leak - any suggestions

Hello fellow Katriders!

I was riding today with my 750 katana (2001) and accelerated with 3rd gear quite slowly to maybe 8500 rpm when I glanced at mirror and noticed that it seemed like my bike was leaving a dark wheeltrack behind, which I am quite sure wasn't a burnout track... However, got a little nervous dropped speed and drove back home with low rpms, without any trackmarks.

When I got back to my home street I parked the bike and looked around for possible signs of leaks... Both tires didn't look like those would've have any oil stains or other unusual on them, fairings don't seem to be messy, visible motor parts look clean, and so does the radiator when I'm looking from various holes through fairings.

Without ripping fairings off everything seems normal, my boots / jeans didn't have any oil spillages on them.

I checked the oil level through indicator window and it seems to be on "full" mark level, which it should be.

Maybe I'm going paranoid... do you guys have any idea what this could've been or where to look next?

Is it possible that some leaks occur only when you have high rpms and what could these parts most probably be?

I am not experienced with troubleshooting this kind of things, I have mostly changed oil filters / changed oil, renewed some gaskets, synced carbs and checked valce clearances. Just the basic stuff.

Suggestions are appreciated

Prob was something on the road or your mind getting the best of you. If you have checked everywhere you could have a possible leak and found nothing then it is prob nothing. Check all around the engine everywhere and brake lines and calipers. If you do have a leak, you'll see something.

Comment

Originally posted by uncltommy77 View Post
      Prob was something on the road or your mind getting the best of you. If you have checked everywhere you could have a possible leak and found nothing then it is prob nothing. Check all around the engine everywhere and brake lines and calipers. If you do have a leak, you'll see something.
      Thank you for your reply, uncltommy77.

My best guess at the moment is that it was something on the road and not from my bike. Maybe it is a good idea to let the bike to idle for a moment and rev it a bit and see if there's something going on. I didn't check brake calipers, I was so concentrated finding oil leaks from the engine, good idea!

Comment

When you said the oil level was on "full" do you mean all the way at the top line? Are you sure it wasn't overfilled? I think too much oil pressure can blow a gasket out. Also check the very bottom of the bike- the oil pan drain plug. The last time you changed your oil, did you use a new crush washer? Is the drain plug secure with the correct amount of torque?
        previous rides
        06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
        next ride - another kat

Comment

Was the fuel tank full?

There are several things that can cause gas to be forced/leak out of the tank dumping fuel. Lots of them that are only temporary issues.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by edromero View Post
            When you said the oil level was on "full" do you mean all the way at the top line? Are you sure it wasn't overfilled? I think too much oil pressure can blow a gasket out. Also check the very bottom of the bike- the oil pan drain plug. The last time you changed your oil, did you use a new crush washer? Is the drain plug secure with the correct amount of torque?
            Hello edromero and thank you for replying to my message! I was a bit inaccurate with oil level when I described it in my original message. I meant that oil level was slightly below the upper line on the oil level window when the bike was on centre stand. So the window wasn't full of oil or the level wasn't over the top line.

Crush washer was new and drain plug was tightened firmly. I have accustomed to buy a new one when buying filters and oil, as the stores aren't open when you need one, according to Murphys law Hmm.. maybe I should check that drain plug anyway to be sure.

Checked the brake calipers as uncltommy77 suggested, no leaks.

I started the bike and let it run for a while and revved a bit... no leaks noticed... I am becoming more and more certain that I just freaked out yesterday.

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            Was the fuel tank full?

There are several things that can cause gas to be forced/leak out of the tank dumping fuel. Lots of them that are only temporary issues.

Krey
            Hi Kreylyn and thank you for your time replying to my message!

The tank was half full. I am starting to believe that I just freaked out some old mark on the road as I haven't noticed anything special and revved bike today without noticing anything special.

Thank you all for helping me out with this, I will check that oil drain plug, just to be certain, and go for a ride. I will report back to this topic if I notice something weird after the ride. It is great to have this kind of forum and your kind if people who are willing to help!
            Last edited by ilkkatana; 05-23-2013, 12:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
            X