X

Need advice on new chain and sprockets

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on new chain and sprockets

I'm looking for more torque in lower gears so I don't have to shift so high and as often in the city. Can someone provide a good link to purchase a good chain and sprocket kit? I've found some but they are stock and vary from 170-210 $. Any input would be greatly appreciated. How much should I expect to pay for installation at a shop? Newb here, sorry

sprocket - http://katriders.com/vb/sales.php
    as for chain go with a good chain like R&K or DID, it will cost more, but last alot longer.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

There's no price there. Those are the stock sprocket sizes....

Comment

Originally posted by Nasdaq View Post
        There's no price there. Those are the stock sprocket sizes....

Jim will make what ever size you want.

Prices are extreamly reasonable.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

ditto on buying a higher quality chain. my RK has 35K miles and still going. lube. lube. lube.
          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Okay, sounds good. I still need a recommendation on the sizes to make that will improve my torque so I don't have to shift so often in 1st thru 3rd

Comment

Okay, sounds good. I still need a recommendation on the sizes to make that will improve my torque so I don't have to shift so often in 1st thru 3rd
              That might be the case if you improved the torque of the actual engine. By changing sprockets for more initial poke, you're gunna be changing to second gear sooner - unless you really bugger the ratios so you take off in second, but what's the point in that???

You know, there's a sub-forum called "Tyre Talk, Chains and Sprockets". If you have a look there, you'll find the answer you seek without asking the same question for the 1,345,281st time - and you'll have an immediate answer.

OR

You could try a search:

Last edited by TRPUT; 05-11-2013, 04:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Sorry. I don't know much at all about bikes, as well as computers. I was just looking for some information on what the different sizes do and some simple numbers that would help with what I don't like about my bike, which is having to shift so much in city driving

www.gearingcommander.com

Generally speaking, your probably looking at something like 15/49 or 15/50. This will lower your top end though, as any change made to the sprockets is an all across the board change.

I'm currently running 15/50 and like it a lot. No need to down shift a lot of the time as I can just power through it. I do much city riding, but this is in ref. to aggressive riding in the curves. We don't have much straights around here.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks a lot bro. There's just a lot of 30-40 mph cruising an I hate having to shift to 3rd so it's not so loud. 15/47 is stock, so running a higher 2nd # gives more low end?
                  Last edited by Nasdaq; 05-11-2013, 07:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Bad experience with Volar Chains - Stay away from D2 Moto - 7k miles and one season of driving and the chain was shot. You get what you pay for DID or RK sound great.
                    Jim; 2001 Kat 600 totalled - 2011, 2000 Katana 750 - sold 2013, - Currently riding a 2002 Yamaha FZ1 - - Next bike to be determined.

Comment

Working...
                    X