X

warm up time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warm up time

How long does it usually take for you guys to warm up your bikes? For me, with a cold engine, ill start it with full choke, and I have to blip the throttle a couple times for it to start firing, then ill leave the choke full for about 5 mins and its revvin an about 4.5. Then ill let it sit for a couple more mins idleing, which idles fine at 1, but after that its still hesitant when I open the throttle and bogs some at around 5 then shoots up. I have to ride it for a couple more mins for it to be totally fine and it'll idle perfect, no hesitation and drops quick. I'm also feeling like there should be more power, just outa my gut, I'm still pretty new with this bike so I'm not 100% sure. Does this sound normal? I'm wondering if my pilot passages are a little dirty, seafoam maybe?

Originally posted by kevingkruse View Post
    How long does it usually take for you guys to warm up your bikes? For me, with a cold engine, ill start it with full choke, and I have to blip the throttle a couple times for it to start firing, then ill leave the choke full for about 5 mins and its revvin an about 4.5. Then ill let it sit for a couple more mins idleing, which idles fine at 1, but after that its still hesitant when I open the throttle and bogs some at around 5 then shoots up. I have to ride it for a couple more mins for it to be totally fine and it'll idle perfect, no hesitation and drops quick. I'm also feeling like there should be more power, just outa my gut, I'm still pretty new with this bike so I'm not 100% sure. Does this sound normal? I'm wondering if my pilot passages are a little dirty, seafoam maybe?

I think some attention to cleaning and tuning/syncing the carbs, verification of no air leaks would help improve that.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Definitely sounds dirty to me. Mine did the same thing a while back when I wasn't riding every day. I was lucky and regular riding cleaned things out enough where that stopped. I know it didnt "CLEAN" them, but improved things. I know what I'm doing this winter...or when I finish fixing my other bike...

Also, if your bike sat all winter and you haven't ridden much (same tank if gas) try dumping the old gas. It might help a little. But Krey is probably spot on. Running seafoam with the gas might help, but it won't get everything. I see carbs 101/102 might be in your future
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

No air leaks, I verified that. AF screws at 2.5, synced with homemade 2-bottle system, got it right on. My tank was a little brown on the inside, I did my best with screws and old gas. Is there any fuel filter that can completely filter the gas? I want to get a magnetic filter with a normal one also, I'm having trouble finding one though.

I have read through carbs 101 mutliple times and I have cleaning down pretty good, but I'm thinking its just getting re-dirty after every cleaning.
        Last edited by kevingkruse; 05-09-2013, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Not that will work with our open gravity fed system.

The fix is to remove the rust.

Por-15 is a great option for permanently fixing the tank rust issue.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

"How long does it usually take for you guys to warm up your bikes"

From first thing I use full choke, no throttle just push the button and it fires up. If not then try again, it usually fires on the first or second try. After about 10 secs I reduce the choke and blip the throttle a wee bit then wait another few seconds and now I can reduce the throttle to halfway and off I go. By the time I'm 20 meters/yards down the road the choke is completely off and away we go
            I don't know what I want but I know how to get it.

Comment

I just use the choke to start ,soon as it starts off goes the choke I keep it
              between 1000 to 1500 for about 30secs. shut it off grab the rest of my gear
              load up . she fires right up no choke & off I go . bike idles 1000 to 1100
              when stopped at lights ect.. I don't think the big kats like to idle at cold for 5min.

Comment

full choke for 30 seconds . MAX
                If anymore then that is needed then you have to properly clean and set up the carbs.

I use a throttle lock
                full choke for 15 seconds ( when rpm pick up) part choke fore 20-30 seconds then choke off and maintain a fast idle with the throttle for 2-3 minutes ( aprox1800 rpm)
                the few few minutes I ride, I short shift and let the engine come up to operating temps slowly.
                100k and going strong
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

+1 With hardly but I don't have throttle lock.

Comment

I had similar issues until i replaced my carb boot o-rings and new rebuilt carbs from Arsenic an i dont need the choke anymore literally..granted it hasnt been very cold here much but i havnt used the choke at all since i put Arsenic's carbs on. I come out in the morning at 40-50 degrees and just hit the starter. Before that i always had to use the choke and give it a minute to get itself together before it was ok unless it was hot an i just shut it off. Not sure what year you have but pre-kats (pre 98) or post kats (after 98) but the pre's dont have an inline filter and shouldnt. The post kats do but they should only be replaced with oem or similar. Adding a filter..specifically a paper style filter will only cause a headache.

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                    idle with the throttle for 2-3 minutes ( aprox1800 rpm)
                    the few few minutes I ride, I short shift and let the engine come up to operating temps slowly.
                    100k and going strong
                    +1
                    Last edited by crazycraven420; 05-10-2013, 11:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

I use full choke on the 1100 for about 1 minute then she will idle ,then I leave her idling while I get my gear on.
                      And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Comment

Working...
                      X