weird performance increase - carbs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird performance increase - carbs

Hey guys,

I was pretty much resigned to the fact our Kats have carbs and we have to live with temperamental cold starts and inconsistent power delivery. OK, I guess we could tear the bike down to the frame, remove and rebuild the carbs every six months to improve operation.

... Well this spring I pulled the bike from hibernation and fired it up with the old fuel which was stabilized before I parked the bike for the winter.

Sure enough, my bike ran like crap, stumbling and missing even with the stabilizer in the fuel.

I have NEVER opened up the carbs for any internal maintenance. My 2005 is approaching 8yrs old with 60,000kms.

Anyway, I picked up some STP complete fuel system cleaner and dumped about 1/3 of the bottle into my tank containing the stabilized 2012 fuel. It was interesting as I poured the STP into the tank I could see the STP liquid react with the fuel in the tank. (sort of like when you drop dish soap into a sink of greasy dishes)

Long story short... the bike is running like new! The engine is running better on the choke, and once warmed up fuel/power delivery is smooth and linear (just like new!). I can tell the carbs need to be sync'd again but I am very happy with this chemical experiment.

I don't know if the STP is really good or if the combination of the STA-BILŪ and STP is the magical cure???

It would be interesting if there were some other guinea pigs out there that could confirm... maybe I'm just mad!
    Last edited by BareKat; 04-29-2013, 09:37 AM.
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
    1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
    1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
    1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Probably more anecdotal than anything, but hey if it works for you go for it
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by BareKat View Post
      Hey guys,

I was pretty much resigned to the fact our Kats have carbs and we have to live with temperamental cold starts and inconsistent power delivery.
      There are simple, easy to implement, and long term resolutions to those issues for any kat.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I had a similar experience recently. My bike was t running poorly, but I added some Lucas oil cleaner to the tank because I had some left over.

I ended up putting too much in. But, I was really surprised that it felt smooth and silky. I don't know if it was because of some lubricating properties, but it was definitely noticeable.

Probably for your bike- you've gotten used to substandard performance, so as soon as you got a little cleaner in there, the perceived benefit was more pronounced
        previous rides
        06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
        next ride - another kat

Comment

Ya maybe you are correct but all I know is it seems like years since the carbs worked this well.
          Originally posted by edromero View Post
          Probably for your bike- you've gotten used to substandard performance, so as soon as you got a little cleaner in there, the perceived benefit was more pronounced
          2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
          2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
          1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
          1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
          1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Working...
          X