X

Permatex Gray???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permatex Gray???

Thoughts??? I was advised to use a liquid gasket or something like Permatex Gray, as was advised by a shop..... I would like to use it instead of re-cutting a new gasket for my signal generator cover. Anyone else use something like that or is it better to just cut the paper and reassemble it?

Right side crank case cover got demolished in a crash. Tried the JB Weld trick and it didn't work!!!!
    Last edited by GSXFJeff; 04-25-2013, 12:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I use gasket shellac, seals hard but, when you need to remove it, the remnents can be cleaned of easily and resealed.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Get the paper gasket and use the gray on the two spots at 9 and 3 o'clock. Toyota fipg or Honda/yama bond are what the manual calls for, but permatex grey will work fine

Comment

I'm a big fan if rtv and I will tell you that rtv is essentially just silicone sealant and can be had at homedepot for like 1/3 of what you will buy rtv for. Yes silicone is silicone and don't buy into the bull that you need special silicone or grey vs black. I've used clear silicone like 5 times on my signal generator cover and never had a leak. I've had it off to modify the backing plate to adjust timing on my turbo setup.

Get a cheap tube from Home Depot and ditch the paper gasket. Silicone will seal better and last longer!
        1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
        fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
        55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
        R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
        Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

Originally posted by 91_gsx600F katana View Post
          I'm a big fan if rtv and I will tell you that rtv is essentially just silicone sealant and can be had at homedepot for like 1/3 of what you will buy rtv for. Yes silicone is silicone and don't buy into the bull that you need special silicone or grey vs black. I've used clear silicone like 5 times on my signal generator cover and never had a leak. I've had it off to modify the backing plate to adjust timing on my turbo setup.

Get a cheap tube from Home Depot and ditch the paper gasket. Silicone will seal better and last longer!
          Silicone and oil don't mix well. yes you CAN use it but if there is any excess that squeezes inside the cover it will eventually fall off and end up somewhere. (the signal generator is somewhat sealed off from the crankcase). There is a reason the hard setting gasket sealers are used on case components, they harden and won't fall off in the engine. Never use it on the cases, it will fail.
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Working...
          X