X

oil oil oil

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil oil oil

can i use a 10w-30 oil in my bike ? i have to make a five hour trip an planing on stoping every thirty min to an hour for breaks or so , an i was wondering if i could just use a cheaper oil instead of the expensive motorcycle oil ? will this work or not ? has anyone ever used this oil for their bike ?
    1994 suzuki katana 750
    4-1 exhaust
    stage 3 jet kit

Originally posted by Clint View Post
    can i use a 10w-30 oil in my bike ? i have to make a five hour trip an planing on stoping every thirty min to an hour for breaks or so , an i was wondering if i could just use a cheaper oil instead of the expensive motorcycle oil ? will this work or not ? has anyone ever used this oil for their bike ?
    1994 suzuki katana 750
    4-1 exhaust
    stage 3 jet kit
    Pick up a gallon of Rotella T6 synth at walmart for around $25. It's the blue jug. Works just fine.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yes and no. You can use a 10w-30 motorcycle oil if you want to but I would advise against a non motorcycle oil. Your clutches will start slipping. Conventional oils aren't as bad as non motorcycle synthetics but still not worth it IMO.

Wal-mart sells a fairly cheap motorcycle oil. $3-4 a quart.

Comment

rotella T6 is the way ima go probably , regular 10w30 wouldnt work ? i just dont want to over heat , it has the oil cooler on it but i still dk

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          Pick up a gallon of Rotella T6 synth at walmart for around $25. It's the blue jug. Works just fine.

Krey
          +1 on the T6, definitely go for that. Good cheap oil

Originally posted by Clint View Post
          rotella T6 is the way ima go probably , regular 10w30 wouldnt work ? i just dont want to over heat , it has the oil cooler on it but i still dk
          Regular oil does not work. It will cause issues. Motorcycle specific oil ONLY unless it is stated on the back of the oil. There is an icon/letters you are looking out for which deems the oil as "safe for motorcycle" use. I forgot what it is, hopefully somebody can inform you on this aspect. but stay with Rotella and you won't have any issues and will keep your pockets filled.

Btw, use a STOCK OEM oil Filter from Suzuki. Don't use the K&N crap on the Katana.. FYI
          - = Dane = -

"Everybody knows it ain't tricking if you got it"

Comment

i got the filters from advanced auto for 8 bucks im not sure if it is K&N tho, whats wrong with the K&N filters ?

Comment

Filled up my gsx750f (1996) with 10w-40 dino oil. Understood that this had api rating sl. i have not driven the bike, because this is normal car oil, not made specific for mc.

In the owner manual(wich is quit old) the recomended oil is 10w-40 api s(e,f,g)

Can I use an oil with the following standards:15w-40 API SL - JASO MA, MA2 ? This is made for motorcycles.

Comment

nothing wong with the K&N OIL filters , they are pretty decent but pricey.
                its the K&N AIR filters that can cause problems.
                2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post
                  nothing wong with the K&N OIL filters , they are pretty decent but pricey.
                  its the K&N AIR filters that can cause problems.
                  whoops, sorry for the misleading info. Please revise as I gave you wrong info

K&N AIR filters cause problems.

my bad!

Originally posted by Ktmoen View Post
                  Filled up my gsx750f (1996) with 10w-40 dino oil. Understood that this had api rating sl. i have not driven the bike, because this is normal car oil, not made specific for mc.

In the owner manual(wich is quit old) the recomended oil is 10w-40 api s(e,f,g)

Can I use an oil with the following standards:15w-40 API SL - JASO MA, MA2 ? This is made for motorcycles.
                  I'm hoping somebody can chime in on this so you can get the info. I'm also sure there are threads on here stating so, have you tried using the search button? (just asking)

This is what I found with a quick Google search as I wanted to give you somewhat of an answer
                  do not use API SL or SM, energy conserving, or anything with a starburst insignia on it
                  If I were you, I'd either use Rotella oil, or any other MOTORCYCLE oil. Rotella is the only oil I use on my motorcycle that is not a motorcycle specific oil, Rotella is actually for diesel trucks.

again, hoping somebody can give you guys accurate information! Sorry for being a noob and remembering.. that's why I just use Rotella
                  Last edited by DaneG320U545; 04-16-2013, 02:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  - = Dane = -

"Everybody knows it ain't tricking if you got it"

Comment

Working...
                  X