X

90 gsx750f not idling right

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 gsx750f not idling right

bike will run with choke without issue but without it the rpms slowly die and it sputters out any ideas why this is happening just bought the bike for 700 dollars today found a crack in my second left float bowl bought a new one coming in the mail one of these day not sure if its my pilot jets or my main jets causing the issue any help would be awesome will post pics later

Welcome,

Patience till your parts get in. I am having to wait as well. In the mean time I have been able to find an awesome amount of information to soak up here. You will find a tutorial on your carbs in the link. While you are this far into the carbs this information is really helpful.

Scott

Comment

Main jets have 0 effect on idle.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

so then im assuming its my pilot jets then because floats are all good all the gaskets are intact getting vac from all 4 carbs

Comment

Originally posted by csstaker View Post
          so then im assuming its my pilot jets then because floats are all good all the gaskets are intact getting vac from all 4 carbs
          Yuuuup.

Carbs need a good clean, not new jets.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

More often than not, it's the passages in the carb bodies as well as the jets. Mikunis are like that. You're going to have to soak them. Hit the wiki and search for "carbs 101". The only messed up part of the wiki is that the A/F screws need to be set at 2.5 turns out, not 1.75.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
              More often than not, it's the passages in the carb bodies as well as the jets.
              +1~!!

Cleaning only the jets is like taking a nozzle off to clean it, leaving a water hose that is filled with dirt and wondering why you can't get the water to come out right.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                Cleaning only the jets is like taking a nozzle off to clean it, leaving a water hose that is filled with dirt and wondering why you can't get the water to come out right.

Krey
                Excellent analogy.

Comment

Carbs 101:

Good luck with the new bike! Pretty sweet price!
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Before you tear into the carbs:

Have you tried adjusting the idle speed screw? It should be within reach with the fairings on, you can twist it by hand. It's a hell of a lot easier than tearing into the carbs, worth a shot. Tighten it to increase rpms.

Comment

I had the same issue. I found that the passage between the main jet and pilot jet on the carb body itself was completely clogged. Unlike the older Mikunis, these Katana ones are so incredibly small, you have to make sure it's completely clean. Sucks, I know it, but it's what needs done. Good luck.
                      1991 Kat 600 Fightered
                      2001 SV650 Naked
                      2011 Roketa 150 Scooter

Comment

Originally posted by mykat View Post
                        Before you tear into the carbs:

Have you tried adjusting the idle speed screw? It should be within reach with the fairings on, you can twist it by hand. It's a hell of a lot easier than tearing into the carbs, worth a shot. Tighten it to increase rpms.
                        personally pretty new to working on bikes where would my idle screw be

Comment

What RPM should it idle at?

Comment

Originally posted by PaintItBlack View Post
                            What RPM should it idle at?
                            if im not mistaken i believe between 1300 and 1500 rpms

Comment

Ahh, thanks for that information.

Comment

Working...
                              X