2003 Katana Stalled while driving, wouldnt' restart

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Katana Stalled while driving, wouldnt' restart

Hey Folks!

So I just changed the oil on the bike and charged the battery up for the season. I took the bike out for a few rides, everything was going fine. All of a sudden on my ride home 2 nights ago, the bike stalled out while I was coming to a stop. I had the clutch pulled in and I think was already in neutral anyways.

So when I tried to start the bike back up, all the dash light were on and everything, but it would not start. Tried throwing some starter fluid in it to get it started (some times my bike needs it... need to get carbs tuned up I think), but still wouldn't start. Also would not start when I tried to pop-start it going down the hill.

I am afraid to just re-charge the battery and try to go riding and end up getting stuck somewhere if it dies again. Someone suggested it might be my starter, but was wondering if anyone who actually knows more about the bike here had any other advice for me to try and make sure this doesn't happen again.

Thanks so much for any help!
    - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Won't start, you mean will not fire or will not turn over? First if you need starting fluid, you need your carbs cleaned, which is the reason why it won't start. You can also check for spark, plugs, coil volts and fuel filter.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I think I fried my battery using my friends trickle charger, I popped open the battery and there was I couldn't see any acid in there at all. I also recall hearing a bubbling sound when I was using his charger.

I'm reading all over the forum to decide on best battery and battery tender to purchase, I seem to be frying a battery almost every year from using these "trinkle chargers".
      - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

Battery tender, I had the same issue with craftsman charger/maintainer.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Ok so I got a new battery and it started up fine. Now my problem is, my headlights. My highbeams are working fine, but when I try to shut it down to low-beams, my lights just turn off. I went and bought new light bulbs and replaced one, and it still wont go into low-beam.

All the fuses seem fine, anyone have any idea why low beams wouldn't be working but high beams are working fine?
          - Josh

Comment

Working...
          X