X

Air Filter Pod help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Filter Pod help

i was thinking about going with some pods instead of the air box (i think mine is bad) do i need to jet it if so is that hard to do??

Not possible. I take that back. It's not possible with OEM CV carbs. Get a set of RS34 flatslides and Uni foam pods and you're good to go.
    Last edited by arsenic; 04-06-2013, 02:30 PM.

Comment

so i dont need to rejet it??

Comment

Not if you spend the $700 bucks on flatslide carbs.

Comment

You are definitely much better off using the stock filter and airbox. There isn't much that can go wrong with the air box. If the rubber boots aren't sealing, use silicone. If it's cracked, use epoxy or tape or something. If the filter is dirty, get an OEM replacement. You can use a jet kit with the stock filter/air box if you like. The bike might already have one installed if it's a used bike you picked up.

With the Katana engines, the engines themselves don't move enough air to warrant the pod filters. In putting them on, you can't tune the carbs correctly. To use the pods, you would have to do some major work to the engine, use a complete (and expensive) FULL exhaust, do major tuning with the carbs (Much much more than just a jet kit), and spend a lot of time tweaking it, and either doing dyno runs (gets expensive), get really good at pulling and reading the spark plugs (time intensive), or use a wideband O2 sensor in the exhaust (expensive) to make sure you get proper air/fuel mix so you don't melt the pistons.

Moral of the story ... use the air box and oem filter.

Comment

Yeah im curious about this to. But maybe it would be a good idea for me to get a jet kit and put it on at the same time.
            1999 Kat 600 w/ exhaust and some other small goodies!!!

Comment

+1,000,000. If you install pods on your bike, your setting your self up for "why doesn't my bike run" kind of thing. CV carbs don't like free flowing filters. stick with the stock paper type.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

lol my bike is all ready there i have a vac leak some where i am thinking im getting to much air from the airbox

Comment

Trust when I tell you, putting pod filters on is not going to help the situation.

Comment

no offense but you sound like your trying to fix a problem by adding another bigger problem...doesnt make much sense lol. What you should do is make sure your airbox drain is plugged an the boots are sealing on both sides (airbox an carb sides) and both sides on the motor side boots. Its more than likely at least one if not multiple that are leaking. Spray down one joint at a time with starting fluid while the bike is running an if the idle climbs, stumbles or it dies then that spot is leaking.
                    94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Originally posted by crazycraven420 View Post
                      no offense but you sound like your trying to fix a problem by adding another bigger problem...doesnt make much sense lol. What you should do is make sure your airbox drain is plugged an the boots are sealing on both sides (airbox an carb sides) and both sides on the motor side boots. Its more than likely at least one if not multiple that are leaking. Spray down one joint at a time with starting fluid while the bike is running an if the idle climbs, stumbles or it dies then that spot is leaking.
                      And check the boots where they mount to the head, there are O-rings That could leak there.
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

Here's 299 other threads I found from doing a search on the topic. Read a few of them and you will get the idea...http://katriders.com/vb/search.php?searchid=1830464
                        Last edited by superbike; 04-06-2013, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MmmDatKat View Post
                          Yeah im curious about this to. But maybe it would be a good idea for me to get a jet kit and put it on at the same time.
                          I think this guy completely missed everything that was said.
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Yeah, i learned to give advice and move on, they'll figure it out.. soon enough..
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

i think i found it on the number 2 carb the air box thing was off that carb the ruber peace was turned i put silicone on all of them to seal them and lets see i hope i need it to dry but i wana put it on right now but i know i need it to set right

Comment

Working...
                              X