X

whats grinding?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats grinding?

ok, so every once and a wile (kinda rarely actually) when i take off from a red light my bike will fail to shift into second. ill give it gas after shifting and realize im in neutral, pull the clutch in and shift again into second and the bike will make a grinding noise until rpm drops a bit and it pops into gear.

its happened about 2 times in the past month under normal driving conditions (probably just didnt lift up enough on the shifter), it will happen if i floor it and try to shift around 10-11k, and it will happen if i try to shift into 1st at to high of a speed.

My question is what exactly is grinding? i think its just the gear dogs but im not sure. should i be concerned even though its a rare thing? have i done serious damage and need to replace something? just wanted to get your guys take on it.

Originally posted by kamkamdac View Post
    ok, so every once and a wile (kinda rarely actually) when i take off from a red light my bike will fail to shift into second. ill give it gas after shifting and realize im in neutral, pull the clutch in and shift again into second and the bike will make a grinding noise until rpm drops a bit and it pops into gear.

its happened about 2 times in the past month under normal driving conditions (probably just didnt lift up enough on the shifter), it will happen if i floor it and try to shift around 10-11k, and it will happen if i try to shift into 1st at to high of a speed.

My question is what exactly is grinding? i think its just the gear dogs but im not sure. should i be concerned even though its a rare thing? have i done serious damage and need to replace something? just wanted to get your guys take on it.
    I dont believe our 1st and second gears were made to take that kind of abuse. I believe the rule of thumb is to get out of first by 4 or 5k and get out of second by 6 k? Im not 100% sure. However, if you keep abusing your tranny like that, you will need new shifter gears and perhaps forks and drums. I'd get a shift kit from factory pro, too, if you have a bit of extra cash to spare.

Comment

It's the shifter.
      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
      ------------------------------------------
      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

in the 4 months ive had my bike, ive only had it up to 10k twice. 99% of the time im a conservative driver. i only threw that in there so you guys would have more info to go off of.

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
        It's the shifter.
        Last edited by kamkamdac; 04-03-2013, 08:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by kamkamdac View Post
          in the 4 months ive had my bike, ive only had it up to 10k twice. 99% of the time im a conservative driver. i only threw that in there so you guys would have more info to go off of.

oh, I wasn't trying to be critical of your riding style. I've read that the first and second gears in our trannys are prone to failure... getting a shift kit from factorypro will eliminate trannybased misshifts. I'm installing mine next time I do an oil change.

Comment

Originally posted by xredjokerx View Post
            oh, I wasn't trying to be critical of your riding style. I've read that the first and second gears in our trannys are prone to failure... getting a shift kit from factorypro will eliminate trannybased misshifts. I'm installing mine next time I do an oil change.
            This

Just out of curiosity, when's the last time you checked your chain, sprockets, calipers?
            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
            ------------------------------------------
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
              This

Just out of curiosity, when's the last time you checked your chain, sprockets, calipers?
              about 3 weeks ago or so. re-adjusted the chain and changed the front sprocket. ive noticed grinding before and after the adjustments.

but as i said it happens very rarely, i think its just form improper shifting but im no expert, that's why i wanted you guys take on it.

i would like to know if anyone knows what exactly is grinding so i can inspect the part (if i can get to it) to see if theres any damage. im planing on getting a shift kit but i know it wont help if damage is already done.

Comment

It doesn't sound like a transmission issue YET. What's happening is you're not giving it enough ummph (pressure) to get into 2nd, you're missing the shift point, then over rev matching while the bike is slowing down and you get grinding, not until the revs drop to match (not exactly) the rear wheel (in relation) can you shift into 2nd smoothly.

I do the 1N2 shift by putting a slight upwards pressure on the shift lever (not enough to shift it obviously)I can then feel when the transmission is ready to change and it will almost do it itself. It sounds slow, but once you get the hang of it it's only marginally slower than trying to force it not to mention better for it!

The grinding is normal to an extent, to me it sounds like you're just missing shift points. You'll get it, it just takes time. 1N2 is also imperative that you use a good portion of the clutch, sometimes we get accustomed to the quick pull of the 2-3 3-4 5-6 and forget the 1N2 needs a little extra time to sync up.
                Last edited by badwithcomputer; 04-03-2013, 10:47 PM.
                -Brandon

Comment

Originally posted by xredjokerx View Post
                  I dont believe our 1st and second gears were made to take that kind of abuse. I believe the rule of thumb is to get out of first by 4 or 5k and get out of second by 6 k? Im not 100% sure. However, if you keep abusing your tranny like that, you will need new shifter gears and perhaps forks and drums. I'd get a shift kit from factory pro, too, if you have a bit of extra cash to spare.

If this shift info was true I would have blown my tranny many many years ago. I ride my bike hard... and have never had a transmission issue.

The engine and trans can take high rpms and agressive riding. I do ALOT of it. You just have to make sure your being forceful when you upshift. If your "light footed" then it will cause missed shifts. Missed shifts cause damage.

The shift spring will go a long way in helping to prevent those missed shifts.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                    If this shift info was true I would have blown my tranny many many years ago. I ride my bike hard... and have never had a transmission issue.

The engine and trans can take high rpms and agressive riding. I do ALOT of it. You just have to make sure your being forceful when you upshift. If your "light footed" then it will cause missed shifts. Missed shifts cause damage.

The shift spring will go a long way in helping to prevent those missed shifts.

Krey
                    thanks for pointing me in the right direction Krey, you are always such a great source of info

Comment

Working...
                    X