X

Bike is dead!!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike is dead!!!!

Hi all bit of a weird problem that i cant solve by my self. I last took my bike out 2 weeks ago. Bike is a 1992 600. The ride was fine i then pulled up
    At home left bike running for 20 seconds and then
    Switched her off. When i tried starting it yesterday there was no electrical power at all. Iv had a little play with it so far iv checked fuses, the little trip switch with red dot in the middle and gone ober some wiring best i could with multimeter. I noticed that 2 cells in the battery were under half full and only putting out about 0.5 volts, battery was new 2 months ago!!! I used jump leads on to the bike with battery removed just to see if i could get some lights on the bike and theres nothing there at all. Where do i check now? I assume my alternator may be bad to boil the battery? But that doesnt explain why the bike is completely dead? Thanks in advance andy.

Originally posted by iowandyiow View Post
    Hi all bit of a weird problem that i cant solve by my self. I last took my bike out 2 weeks ago. Bike is a 1992 600. The ride was fine i then pulled up
    At home left bike running for 20 seconds and then
    Switched her off. When i tried starting it yesterday there was no electrical power at all. Iv had a little play with it so far iv checked fuses, the little trip switch with red dot in the middle and gone ober some wiring best i could with multimeter. I noticed that 2 cells in the battery were under half full and only putting out about 0.5 volts, battery was new 2 months ago!!! I used jump leads on to the bike with battery removed just to see if i could get some lights on the bike and theres nothing there at all. Where do i check now? I assume my alternator may be bad to boil the battery? But that doesnt explain why the bike is completely dead? Thanks in advance andy.
    Whenever something like this happens to me, I go through and clean every electrical contact I can find. This will usually either fix the problem, or I will find something else wrong during the process.
    My Bikes/Current: 1989 Suzuki Katana 750, 1980 Honda CB900C, 1973 Suzuki TS100, 2007 Yamaha Vino. Former: 1981 Honda CB650, 1982 Yamaha XJ550 Maxim, 2001 Yamaha V-Star, 1980 Yamaha 400, 19?? Suzuki Madura, 1974 Triumph T140E.

Comment

fill those dry battery cells, put it on a charger overnight and see what you get. If the bike won't start then try using jumper cables with the battery installed still. Often, jumper cables just aren't enough by themselves. They'll just provide enough juice to make up for a weak battery.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

AGM battery ftw
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Once the cell goes dry, that cell will not work very well, Ie low battery voltage in a short time, lower amps. after drying 2 batteries i switched to AGM type. AGM batteries don't need filling. You can refill your lead acid battery with acid and throw it on a charger/ maintainer, If it never stops charging or maintains more than normal, the battery needs replaced. As for no power check all your ground points.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
            ...As for no power check all your ground points.
            Oh, dang! There's a small wire coming off the battery ground cable, right at the battery. Check that. It may be broken. Battery fumes get to it sometimes. Can't believe I forgot that one.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Gettin slow bill......
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

Long day.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Tanks for the hints so far. Iv checked the little earth cable that runs over the battery and that ones fine. Wen i have a couple of hours spare and the suns out ill get out there and check/clean all the connections. I just find it strange that i turned it off on the key and now theres nothin.

Comment

ignition switch? let me check the schematic......from the bat + t's off to ignition switch, starter relay and fuse box. check your fuses then the red to the ignition switch. here is a diagram
                    Last edited by 92xjunker; 04-13-2013, 05:41 PM.
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                      ignition switch? let me check the schematic......from the bat + t's off to ignition switch, starter relay and fuse box. check your fuses then the red to the ignition switch. here is a diagram
                      Thanks for that. I wasnt to sure how to test the ignition switch. I do have power at the fuse box ill try and follow it to the ignition switch thankyou.

Comment

Working...
                      X