Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Best way to 'soften' drying carb holders???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to 'soften' drying carb holders???

....BESIDES replacing them all-together? I heard rumors of ppl soaking them in ATF (Auto. Tranny Fluid) to soften the rubber up a bit.

Any other idears? Thx!
    1991 Kat 600 Fightered
    2001 SV650 Naked
    2011 Roketa 150 Scooter

Originally posted by XXWoodmanXX View Post
    ....BESIDES replacing them all-together? I heard rumors of ppl soaking them in ATF (Auto. Tranny Fluid) to soften the rubber up a bit.

Any other idears? Thx!

I've tried soaking them in multitude of oils and such. Imersed and in vacuum sealed packs loaded with oils, with heat and without...

None of that worked to make any difference more than just spraying the damn things with what ever oil your "trying" and immediately going on with working with them. 30 seconds, or 30 days... they were just a little more slippery but not any softer.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ah, gotcha. I was even tempted to use som good ol' ArmorAll. I recall back in my early detailing days, ppl protested using it on tires, stating it softens the rubber with time, causing the sidewalls to prematurely bulge and ripple, even under normal inflation recommendations, saying it softens it too much.

Might even try some Fluid Film around the time I go to install them.

Ah well, thanks anyways
      1991 Kat 600 Fightered
      2001 SV650 Naked
      2011 Roketa 150 Scooter

Comment

Originally posted by XXWoodmanXX View Post

Any other idears? Thx!
        Tranny stop leak is what they used to use to soften drive belts... but never tired it on anything myself.

Comment

Heat. Just plain old warm air from a hair dryer or heat gun.
          I also lube them up with some ArmorAll or silicone spray before installing the carbs. Makes them pop right in.

I have heard that Wintergreen oil from the drugstore works but I've never tried it.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Well, looks like just using some hot water and Simple Green to bust up the grime on it, and bringing them back up to room temp worked out just fine.

Guess they weren't dryrotted, just cold and covered with grime. heh!
            1991 Kat 600 Fightered
            2001 SV650 Naked
            2011 Roketa 150 Scooter

Comment

Working...
            X