No announcement yet.
X

Oil Leak from Pan Plug (NOT drain plug)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Leak from Pan Plug (NOT drain plug)

Hey all. I have a slight oil leak/drip from the left side "plug" that fits on the side of the oil pan securing the "spring" (at least this is what I've identified it as according to the ronayers fiche. (part 9)

It was hard to search for additional information on this, as any "plug"/oil search term brought up results for the drain plug (stripped,etc.)

Anyways, I figure it's pretty clear I just need to replace the crush washer (it seems to be the same size as the drain plug washer - 16x22x2 according to the fiche, but for some reason listed as a different part number than the drain plug washer...? I have some extra drain plug washers, so my plan is to try that, but two questions about removing the plug.

The plug itself seems to require an allen key which is much larger than any that I have. Does anyone know the size allen key required so I can be sure to pick up the right one? I had to buy a larger allen key for the side mirrors, but even that is too small. When I look at where the allen key goes, I also see an odd star shaped fitting deeper inside the plug (I couldn't get it to turn out in pictures well). Is it just the allen key I need to unscrew, or this other star shaped fitting as well?

My second question is just trying to figure out what to expect. Do I just need to unscrew the plug that is leaking, or are both plugs on either side of the bike connected? I see from the fiche that there is a spring in the middle, is this going to pop out, or will it be simple just unscrewing the plug, replacing the washer, and retightening? Lastly, the leaking plug is blocked by some metal part. I don't believe I will be able to put an allen key in the leaking side (LEFT). Do I need to remove the metal part? Do I need to remove the whole oil pan? I'm hoping that by unscrewing the RIGHT side which is easily accessible, that it will also loosen the LEFT side?

Sorry for rambling, let me know if I need to clarify anything.
    I've attached a picture of the RIGHT side plug because its easier to see, and then two of the LEFT side where I believe you can make out a slight leak and also see that it is not possible to fit an allen key up that side.
    Attached Files

Looks like m8, but don't remember for sure

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Thanks m8. It is a M8 or 5/16.

Anyone know if I have to drop the oil pan to get to the plug, or is there something I'm missing? Just seems like a lot for replacing a crush washer.

Comment

I was hoping that it was one long screw/spring that I could unscrew from one side. That is not the case, the plug on each side must be unscrewed... Looks like I have to remove the exhaust and oil pan and replace all gaskets...

Comment

Working...
        X