X

coil mod confusion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coil mod confusion

ok so ive been thinking about doing the coil mod ive seen on this forum but their are a few things that i just dont get.

*my understanding of it is that your basically getting power to the coils directly from the battery so you dont experience any voltage drop and will have higher coil voltage. did i get that rite?

*my big question is "why do you need a relay". why not just hook the positive receptacle of the coil directly (through a fuse of course) to the positive terminal of the battery? if im not mistaken the circuit isn't closed, it is kept open through the spark plug gap so even if it is hooked directly to the battery it wont drain power when the bike is off. even if the timing relay ( or what ever its called) is closed while the bike is off the spark plug still wont spark and drain power because the coils only respond to fluctuations of electricity.

can someone chime in and let me know if the relay is really necessary and why.

Originally posted by kamkamdac View Post
    ok so ive been thinking about doing the coil mod ive seen on this forum but their are a few things that i just dont get.

*my understanding of it is that your basically getting power to the coils directly from the battery so you dont experience any voltage drop and will have higher coil voltage. did i get that rite?

*my big question is "why do you need a relay". why not just hook the positive receptacle of the coil directly (through a fuse of course) to the positive terminal of the battery? if im not mistaken the circuit isn't closed, it is kept open through the spark plug gap so even if it is hooked directly to the battery it wont drain power when the bike is off. even if the timing relay ( or what ever its called) is closed while the bike is off the spark plug still wont spark and drain power because the coils only respond to fluctuations of electricity.

can someone chime in and let me know if the relay is really necessary and why.

?1: Yes, you got that right.

?2: Any draw on the battery will drain it. Permantly energizing the coils is a major draw. You need to shut power off, and that is what the relay would do. It's 100% nessasary. Properly set up, you can have the relay trigger with the ignition switch, just the same as the Ignition CM does now.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

i just now realized my mistake. i made the mistake that the spark plug was part of the same physical circuit, but i just realized that it has its own circuit and is separated by the coils through Electromagnetic induction. thanks for the help kerylyn

Comment

I, too, plan on re-instating my Coil Relay Mod back onto my bike this weekend. Except I will remember to run my 12v+ lead to my relay from the fusebox, and NOT the battery. That way, I will cut power when I turn my key to the "Off" position. (Just been too lazy and cold to do so yet)
        1991 Kat 600 Fightered
        2001 SV650 Naked
        2011 Roketa 150 Scooter

Comment

Originally posted by XXWoodmanXX View Post
          I, too, plan on re-instating my Coil Relay Mod back onto my bike this weekend. Except I will remember to run my 12v+ lead to my relay from the fusebox, and NOT the battery. That way, I will cut power when I turn my key to the "Off" position. (Just been too lazy and cold to do so yet)

Connect the on/off trigger on the relay to the OEM orange/white wire coil lead. That will trigger the relay on/off with the key switch as oem. It's already in the fuse line.

Use a secondary or inline fuse and run the primary power for the relay directly from the battery to the coils.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
          X