No announcement yet.
X

Need Timing Help....I Think???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike is running......I picked up a factory signal rotor for $10 from a local motorcycle salvage yard, changed the pickup coil and it fired as soon as I hit the button. is running smooth, but the idle adjustment screw on the carbs dont seem to be doing anything. its idling at like 3k rpm, and turning the knob either way does nothing.

Comment

AWESOME!!!

Now for the idle speed issue.
      1. Is the choke stuck on? Look at the carbs and make sure the plungers are all coming closed.
      2. Is the throttle cable letting the butterflies close? With the bike off, twist the throttle grip and let go. You should be able to hear the butterflies snap closed.

Hang onto that ignition advancer. Once you've got things running right it would be worth transferring the oem pickup coil to the V&H plate and running with the advancer.

Wish I had a local motorcycle salvage yard.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
        AWESOME!!!

Now for the idle speed issue.
        1. Is the choke stuck on? Look at the carbs and make sure the plungers are all coming closed.
        2. Is the throttle cable letting the butterflies close? With the bike off, twist the throttle grip and let go. You should be able to hear the butterflies snap closed.

Hang onto that ignition advancer. Once you've got things running right it would be worth transferring the oem pickup coil to the V&H plate and running with the advancer.

Wish I had a local motorcycle salvage yard.
        Its pretty big, its called PA Cycle Salvage. If you are ever looking for something, they probably have 7-8 Katanas there. Prices are cheap too.

When I put the new carbs on i may have tightened the throttle cable too much, ill pull the tank and check it out. I need to replace a leaky fuel line anyways.

THANKS FOR EVERYONES HELP.......SERIOUSLY!! I probably wouldnt have been able to figure it out without everyones help.
        Last edited by rpmcclafferty; 03-06-2013, 07:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

sweet!! Glad you got it running! Now fix that idle issue an ride that sum bitch!
          94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Im gonna get on it tonight......too bad I cant ride it because we just got 8 inches on snow, but soon as that crap melts, ill be out on it!

Comment

damn that sucks..thats my kinda luck too lol. Well nows a good time to give it another good check before you get her rolling. Stuff like brake fluids and function, tire psi, smooth operating and lubed cables (clutch, choke), chain tension and re lube it...an anything else I forgot lol
              94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Originally posted by rpmcclafferty View Post
                Bike is running......I picked up a factory signal rotor for $10 from a local motorcycle salvage yard, changed the pickup coil and it fired as soon as I hit the button. is running smooth, but the idle adjustment screw on the carbs dont seem to be doing anything. its idling at like 3k rpm, and turning the knob either way does nothing.
                I make 100% sure that idle adjuster is working. Not to mention you use it in the bench sync process to place the third butterfly in the correct position. The only thing that would be holding the butterfly open, causing the idle adjuster not to touch the linkage, and the high idle. Is the throttle cable. So loosen that up and adjust it properly and you should be good to go.

Comment

yep, it was the throttle linkage too tight, loosened it up and its purring like a kitten now.

Comment

Awesome! There is still no reason that the V&H 5 degree advancer should cause it not to start, but whatever works dude

Comment

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran
                      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

SUWEEEET!

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                        ...There is still no reason that the V&H 5 degree advancer should cause it not to start, but whatever works dude
                        It wasn't the advancer, it was the V&H pickup coil. I'd suggest now that the idle is right to reinstall the advancer, keeping the stock pickup coil.
                        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Well... that makes perfect sense.

Comment

Working...
                          X