X

Blowing fuses :(

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blowing fuses :(

Finally got my 1989 GSX400F running for the first time today and its sweet.
    Unfortunately it blows a fuse every so often.
    The Bike goes dead no ignition lights or anything. When I replace the fuse it will fire up perfectly I can rev the bike no problem. All of a sudden it just pops.
    Its a 10amp in the 4x fuse holder on the left of the seat.

Im just looking through the manual at the moment but if anyone can throw me in the right direction that would be great.

thanks

Originally posted by sunvalleylotus View Post
    Finally got my 1989 GSX400F running for the first time today and its sweet.
    Unfortunately it blows a fuse every so often.
    The Bike goes dead no ignition lights or anything. When I replace the fuse it will fire up perfectly I can rev the bike no problem. All of a sudden it just pops.
    Its a 10amp in the 4x fuse holder on the left of the seat.

Im just looking through the manual at the moment but if anyone can throw me in the right direction that would be great.

thanks

Well, I believe one of the 4 fuses should be a 30amp fuse for the primary power system, so that could be a simple fix. You should look to check someone didn't put the wrong fuse in as the other 3 would be 10amp fuses.

If the fuses are correct in the proper amperage rating, then the next thing to look at is a wire that is worn/damged allowing for the power to intermittently ground out. That would cause the fuse to pop.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ok I have 4 x 10 amp fuses. Will pop a 30amp in and try it and see how that goes

Comment

Originally posted by sunvalleylotus View Post
        Ok I have 4 x 10 amp fuses. Will pop a 30amp in and try it and see how that goes

NO!

STOP!

You need to VERIFY that one of them should be a 30amp...

There are some of the wiring harness that use only 10amp fuses in the 4 slot fuse box, and have moved the larger 30amp fuse elsewhere.

Please check... the wrong fuse and an actual electrical problem could cause significant damage to your wiring harness or worse...

You don't want to be this guy after all...

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I checked the wiring today and discovered the positive wire from the battery pos + to the fuse box was getting hot and smoking as it was only holding on by a few strands of wire. So ive made a new one up.
          The terminals on the starter relay were also corroded so i removed and gave it a good clean up.
          Will give the battery a charge and try it again to see if all is well.

Looks like my one uses a 10amp fuse
          Last edited by sunvalleylotus; 02-27-2013, 08:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

If you've found problems of that scale then it'd be worth your time to start looking at the rest of the wiring harness. Chances are that those aren't your only problems. In particular, check your ground wires and attachment points. Nothing will leave you on the side of the road like a bad ground.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I agree wild bill, I'm going to check everything over.
              After cleaning that up it blows the fuses even quicker now. Lucky if the engine runs for 1 second. Anyway at least that parts done

Comment

Pulled all the plugs in the wiring harness and cleaned them out. Also cleaned up all the earth connections.
                Fired up the bike and all good so far

The connectors were not to bad but a previous owner stuffed them full of some sort of strange greasy goo which was shorting it out. Took me a while to remove it all then clean and spray with proper electrical lube.

Comment

That greasy goo should have been dielectric grease. It helps prevent corrosion inside those connectors.
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Oh well I give up. went to the bike this morning to start it up and once again its popping the fuse. engine turns over twice every time then it blows.

Ive parked the bike in the garage and i will send it to the suzuki dealers next year when im home again. will get them to balance the carbs aswell as I dont get much time here in the UK.

Hope to have this bike ready to hit the roads in 2 years if i get time.

Comment

Working...
                    X