heatshield ,do i need it ?????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heatshield ,do i need it ?????

hi there ,

just doing the plugs on my 03 kat and wondering if i need to put the rubber heat sheild that covers top of motor back on as it seems to be a beach to put back on and if not needed then why use it

thanks

james

Rubber heat sheild???? Say what?
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

750s have a rubber heat sheild the 600s don't, pre and post.

It's better with, but nothing is going to blow up if you remove it. It helps to reduce the heat that gets to the fuel tank, reducing fuel evaporation and increasing the cooling of the engine.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

My PO must have removed it.
        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
        ------------------------------------------
        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
          My PO must have removed it.
          A previous owner did something stupid that has a negative effect on your motorcycle? That NEVER happens.

Comment

So why did only 750's have them and not the 600's?

Comment

Honest answer, no one knows.

Comment

750s have another 150cc of heat producing bits.
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Does the 1100 have it? That's a serious question, I don't know.

Comment

No, the 1100 doesn't have it. There is more air between the top of the engine and the tank, though. Not nearly as tight as my 750 was.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

thanks guys i will be removing it and will just buy some of that stick on aluminum heat shield to stick to the bottom of the tank

Comment

Sure but why remove it? As I remember, my 750 had the rubber shield and insulation on the bottom of the tank. Also, the wiring ran above that rubber shield so it was protected. You lose that if you throw it away.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                          No, the 1100 doesn't have it. There is more air between the top of the engine and the tank, though. Not nearly as tight as my 750 was.
                          Well both of my 1100 have some kind of thermic shields glued to the tank above the carburateurs.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                            Sure but why remove it? As I remember, my 750 had the rubber shield and insulation on the bottom of the tank. Also, the wiring ran above that rubber shield so it was protected. You lose that if you throw it away.
                            This!

It helps to keep heat from the coils and leads and other wiring as well as the tank, and probably has some role in smoothing air flow to the air box and keeping that intake air slightly cooler. All of this will help things run ever-so-slightly better and last longer. Coils don't like heat. Suzuki were never known for adding unnecessary stuff, especially on a built-to-a-price bike, so I'm sure they believe it serves a purpose.

Comment

Working...
                            X